Old Postcard of Midsomer Norton

• RMweb Premium

Paul Townsend has posted on his Bristol-themed Flickr site a lovely scene of Midsomer Norton seemingly in Edwardian times.

Midsomer Norton Station Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway

Lots of interesting detail - a crowd of passengers in their  best clothes ; lots of milk churns; "Duck, Son & Pinker" advert, alternately-coloured segments on the the canopy valance - a style which seemed to go completely out of fashion in later years

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 10

In some ways it is similar to this well-known old view taken from the opposite direction, marked as c1900, although maybe the dress of the lady on the Up platform is older than in the OP's photo?

The Up Starting was renewed on at least two occasions (dates unknown) and seems to have been moved in or out as well over the years. It is quite prominent in the OP's photo, but there seems to be no sign of it in this earlier one, and the 1902 OS survey suggests that it was further out at that date.

MSN station old picture.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The OP photo appears in S. Austin, Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway A View from the Past (Ian Allan, 1999) p. 14 and end papers. There it is captioned "1890s" but that is evidently too early. The 0-4-4T has the type of boiler fitted from 1906, with a plain dome further forward than the original and safety valves in a large oval "tin can" on the firebox. Also the third vehicle in the train is one of the bogie elliptical-roofed carriages built from 1900. The first vehicle is a mystery to me - some sort of CCT, but Higbridge-built or L&SWR? Certainly not Midland.

I think I agree with pre-Great War. By 1925 I would expect to see some below-the-knee rather than ankle-length skirts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

13th of September 1885 according to the caption on the picture, or am I overthinking it?

I think that's the postcard issuer's catalogue number. Although there's plenty of bustle on the platform, there are no bustles. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Paul Townsend has posted on his Bristol-themed Flickr site a lovely scene of Midsomer Norton seemingly in Edwardian times.

Midsomer Norton Station Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway

Lots of interesting detail - a crowd of passengers in their  best clothes ; lots of milk churns; "Duck, Son & Pinker" advert, alternately-coloured segments on the the canopy valance - a style which seemed to go completely out of fashion in later years

Duck, Son & Pinker were still around in the 1960s when they used to tune my Dad's piano, when we lived at Coleford. Perhaps they are still around - I haven't Googled them!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Duck, Son & Pinker were still around in the 1960s when they used to tune my Dad's piano, when we lived at Coleford. Perhaps they are still around - I haven't Googled them!

Definitely not sixties - the skirts are totally wrong for that period.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

They closed in 2011. I went in the shop earlier that year and sensed that it had the hand of death on it; the CDs on display were distinctly miscellaneous and evidently hadn't been restocked for a while.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16318150

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The OP photo appears in S. Austin, Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway A View from the Past (Ian Allan, 1999) p. 14 and end papers.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's where Paul Townsend got the image from; I enjoy the pictures he posts, but I think he hoovers up images from all manner of sources without caring to give them proper attribution.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's where Paul Townsend got the image from; I enjoy the pictures he posts, but I think he hoovers up images from all manner of sources without caring to give them proper attribution.

Compared to the OP postcard, the version in Austin has been cropped right and bottom; it also looks sharper so may taken from an original print rather than a postcard. Austin attributes it to "Bucknall Collection".

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2019 at 00:05, Compound2632 said:

The OP photo appears in S. Austin, Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway A View from the Past (Ian Allan, 1999) p. 14 and end papers. There it is captioned "1890s" but that is evidently too early. The 0-4-4T has the type of boiler fitted from 1906, with a plain dome further forward than the original and safety valves in a large oval "tin can" on the firebox. Also the third vehicle in the train is one of the bogie elliptical-roofed carriages built from 1900. The first vehicle is a mystery to me - some sort of CCT, but Higbridge-built or L&SWR? Certainly not Midland.

I think I agree with pre-Great War. By 1925 I would expect to see some below-the-knee rather than ankle-length skirts.

The first vehicle is a puzzle. It has full length footboards, has a larger cross-section than the typical S&D coach following it and seems have a central sliding door or one that projects to a noticeable degree. It could be a horse box with the attendant's compartment at the far end. Some of those had full-length foot-boards.

The photo also appears as plate 69 in Mitchell & Smith - Bath to Evercreech Junction attributed to Lens of Sutton.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2019 at 09:13, Andy Kirkham said:

They closed in 2011. I went in the shop earlier that year and sensed that it had the hand of death on it; the CDs on display were distinctly miscellaneous and evidently hadn't been restocked for a while.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16318150

How sad but perhaps a sign of the times. They were very much a part of my childhood growing up in Bath.

Edited by Captain Kernow