loksound v5 decoder

gwrcollet

Have anybody had this problem with loksound v5 decoder? the problem is I cannot get it to work with ESU ECoS controller?

the decoder I programed on ESU loco programer and laptop works fine on test track, put on the main layout controlled with ECoS

will not work, is this a CV problem or a problem with the decoder?

3 hours ago, gwrcollet said:

Have anybody had this problem with loksound v5 decoder? the problem is I cannot get it to work with ESU ECoS controller?

the decoder I programed on ESU loco programer and laptop works fine on test track, put on the main layout controlled with ECoS

will not work, is this a CV problem or a problem with the decoder?

Yes there is an issue with ESU v5 decoders and ECoS. ECoS will be doing an upgrade to there system but as far as I know it's not out yet. To get it to work you need to turn off some auto ID function on the ECoS but I can't be more specific as I don't use ECoS, maybe a ECoS user can be more specific in what to turn off

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Yes there is an issue with ESU v5 decoders and ECoS. ECoS will be doing an upgrade to there system but as far as I know it's not out yet. To get it to work you need to turn off some auto ID function on the ECoS but I can't be more specific as I don't use ECoS, maybe a ECoS user can be more specific in what to turn off

Where did you get to learn of the "issue"?  I've just scanned the ESU forums and there's no mention of anything.  I am sure if there was a fundamental issue the Forum would be full of messages.

BTW, my Loksound 5s work just fine with my ECoS.

Back to the original post, it's quite possible the problem is being caused by Railcom+?  Do you have it enabled?  If so and you have a duplicated address in the ECoS then it will simply not work.  Could this be your problem?  Have a look through the addresses in your loco list.  Perhaps try turning off Railcom on the decoder via the LokProgrammer.

Steve

Edited by 55020

17 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Where did you get to learn of the "issue"?  I've just scanned the ESU forums and there's no mention of anything.  I am sure if there was a fundamental issue the Forum would be full of messages.

BTW, my Loksound 5s work just fine with my ECoS.

Back to the original post, it's quite possible the problem is being caused by Railcom+?  Do you have it enabled?  If so and you have a duplicated address in the ECoS then it will simply not work.  Could this be your problem?  Have a look through the addresses in your loco list.  Perhaps try turning off Railcom on the decoder via the LokProgrammer.

Steve

This was an issue a customer was having with his ECoS at my local store and it was discovered there were issues with ECoS and V5. Now you mention railcom this I believe was one of the things to turn off, I didn't really take that much notice at the time but if memory serves I think it was confirmed by the uk importers. Considering there are unrelated issues with v5 decoders It is not beyond the realms of possibility of a compatibility issue.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

This was an issue a customer was having with his ECoS at my local store and it was discovered there were issues with ECoS and V5. Now you mention railcom this I believe was one of the things to turn off, I didn't really take that much notice at the time but if memory serves I think it was confirmed by the uk importers. Considering there are unrelated issues with v5 decoders It is not beyond the realms of possibility of a compatibility issue.

ESU have been very busy producing updates to the V5 decoder firmware, but there's no mention of an impending ECoS update on the ESU website.  Perhaps your customer issue has been addressed via a decoder update?

I'm assuming the op has updated the decoder firmware on his problem loco?

thanks for your replies, I have turned off the Railcom on the decoder and on the ECoS controller this did

not work I have tried using different address on the loco incase this was a problem still no go.

what will need to be updated the decoder or ECoS controller or Both??

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrcollet said:

thanks for your replies, I have turned off the Railcom on the decoder and on the ECoS controller this did

not work I have tried using different address on the loco incase this was a problem still no go.

what will need to be updated the decoder or ECoS controller or Both??

The LokProgrammer will update the decoder firmware.  The latest ECoS firmware is 4.2.6, which was released in May. 

Let me know if you need any assistance getting things updated.

Steve

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Andymsa said:

Not being an ECoS user I may have this wrong, but is there a feature on the ECoS that allows auto configuration of the loco into ECoS. I'm fairly sure this what was the issue with v5 decoders and ECoS.

Yup, Railcom+ will automatically place decoder info into ECoS e.g. address and functions.

Thanks to Andymsa and Steve the problem is sorted. I up graded my firmware to 4.2.6 today still

did not work, Railcom on the controller has all ways been turned off, when I changed the address

on the loco I turned off railcom so I thought I turn it back on ( controller and loco) to my supprise

it worked ok, so i thought I try it again with Railcom turned off the loco still worked ok, not

sure what happened but it is now working  many thanks to all replies

• RMweb Gold

"Railcom Ctr - Alt - Del" with both controller and loco, good to know what worked.

Glad the forum was able to assist you getting to a solution.  There's nothing more frustrating than when things don't go to plan and you can't figure out why.

Steve

Edited by 55020