Metals Sector Reception Sidings & New TMD

Mr Pix

5 minutes ago, Mr Pix said:

Hi ... My previous layout on this forum was a steelworks themed layout in N gauge" Lackenthorpe". I used some Walthers buildings kits they were excellent but they are N scale so will not be much use for this one. They have more variety in oo/ho,  you can modify them very easily. I got mine whilst I was on several holidays in the US, there are quite expensive especially if your in the UK, but they are great.

I use ribbed card  for the cladding bought from my local stationary shop for the exterior of the buildings so far and the frame work out of left over bits of wood or aluminium sheets.  Steelworks structures and buildings tend to be on the massive size and very dirty, lots of grime . Works also have gas mains (pipes)running all over the place some raised high on stilts above ground level or attached to the exterior of buildings.

Good look.

jez

I've located some Walthers stuff in HO from Germany...on pre-order...v expensive but I think I'll get a couple of them if they actually come in.

I think I can have a go at scratch building some of the kinds of buildings I'm looking at doing..........I do want a lot of depth to the layout which I think is going to test my abilities.  What I can't see being feasible is a blast furnace and might just have to defer that to the backscene photo.

I'm basing my thoughts around having coal/limestone/iron ore deliveries, some shunting of materials within the works and then steel coil and possibly slab out.  How accurate are you trying to be with stock? Are they the Hornby HEA hoppers you've got for coal? I can't find out from the web what the actual hoppers that were/are used for coal, so I'm thinking of waiting for another batch of the Accurascale HUO hoppers to come in and get a rake of those - might not be exactly right but not far off and actually value for money. I've got some JSA coil wagons and the tippler wagons on order currently. Trying also to work out what wagons were used for limestone delivery. I'm not going to be ultra anal about stock but I want to do it fairly prototypically.

22 hours ago, JC said:

I've located some Walthers stuff in HO from Germany...on pre-order...v expensive but I think I'll get a couple of them if they actually come in.

I think I can have a go at scratch building some of the kinds of buildings I'm looking at doing..........I do want a lot of depth to the layout which I think is going to test my abilities.  What I can't see being feasible is a blast furnace and might just have to defer that to the backscene photo.

I'm basing my thoughts around having coal/limestone/iron ore deliveries, some shunting of materials within the works and then steel coil and possibly slab out.  How accurate are you trying to be with stock? Are they the Hornby HEA hoppers you've got for coal? I can't find out from the web what the actual hoppers that were/are used for coal, so I'm thinking of waiting for another batch of the Accurascale HUO hoppers to come in and get a rake of those - might not be exactly right but not far off and actually value for money. I've got some JSA coil wagons and the tippler wagons on order currently. Trying also to work out what wagons were used for limestone delivery. I'm not going to be ultra anal about stock but I want to do it fairly prototypically.

Hi... you can always half the Walthers kits  and put them end to end doubling your money if you don't want to much depth that's what I did. The Coke Ovens is a good kit you can spread it over a long area depending on where you situate the conveyors.

Oxford do a British Steel livery Janus shunter which looks the part, but it seems to be the most popular and I've never  seen it reduced unlike the other liveries they do which can pick up at a reasonable price.

I'm modelling late 80s early 90s so I'm trying to run stock from that era. The hopper wagons are Bachmann HEA/HSA  they were normally used for hauling Coke for the Ovens but also used for mainly domestic coal also. You can get them on eBay I just picked up a few at a time and built up a fleet.  Coal was delivered to Steelworks in my time period in HAA (merry go round hoppers) hopper wagons which Hornby manufacture it's been around for a long time and I'm not keen on it at all. I'm waiting for another manufacturer to bring out one hopefully Accurascale or Cavalex. Limestones was delivered in CBA/CDA hoppers to some works in Wales I think and Lackenby in HGA and PGA hoppers.

Steel coils and slabs etc can be handled by various Wagon types. Bachmann do OCA for smaller products and BAA, BDA bogie wagon for larger slabs and coils, and Cavalex are going to do a BBA  and BLA bogie wagons which look very good .

PTA tippler wagons were used as for Ore and some other products deliveries to some works I think Ravenscraig and Lackenby.

Here is a photo of a Metals livery class 37 on CDA hopper limestone hoppers heading to a works.

Jez

IMG_2317.PNG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all

Not much to show, trying to add more foliage to the rear of the layout to help blend in with the backscene foliage and to add some cover around the half relief conveyor and associated structures.

Put some Depot plaques along the interior of the shed to brighten up the place too.

Jez

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

S-Kits do a kit for the Teesside PGA limestone hopper wagons that used to operate from Redmire quarry. The CBAs or a jolly good passing resemblance to can be made from the Hornby HAA models with extra parts made for top cover and walkways.

The CBA were originally built for the Tunstead to Margam traffic but from the mid-80s some were put in to salt and potash traffic in the North-East. Eventually the remaining wagons moved to take limestone from Hardendale (Shap) to Margam instead, which is what the train in the photo link shows possibly near Winwick Jnc. Gradually the CBA fleet was run-down and replaced by bogie Polybulk covered hoppers.

I started my own conversion of some of the new Hornby HAAs some years ago I really must finish them off!

HTH Paul

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi... Made up a sign with all the Railfreight Sectors to add to the one with the depot plaques. Thought I would show the progress on the layout so far and the space I have availabl and how the loop that runs hidden around the back of the depot.

Jez

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2020 at 21:11, pharrc20 said:

S-Kits do a kit for the Teesside PGA limestone hopper wagons that used to operate from Redmire quarry. The CBAs or a jolly good passing resemblance to can be made from the Hornby HAA models with extra parts made for top cover and walkways.

The CBA were originally built for the Tunstead to Margam traffic but from the mid-80s some were put in to salt and potash traffic in the North-East. Eventually the remaining wagons moved to take limestone from Hardendale (Shap) to Margam instead, which is what the train in the photo link shows possibly near Winwick Jnc. Gradually the CBA fleet was run-down and replaced by bogie Polybulk covered hoppers.

I started my own conversion of some of the new Hornby HAAs some years ago I really must finish them off!

HTH Paul

I've just availed myself of a rake of Cavalex PGAs for my steelworks layout.  Lovely. Need dirtying though. Although I'm trying to base mine on South Wales traffic I decided to loosen my definition to PGAs as these delivered limestone to at least Redcar.

Edited by JC
  • Like 2

On 09/07/2020 at 21:37, Mr Pix said:

Hi... Made up a sign with all the Railfreight Sectors to add to the one with the depot plaques. Thought I would show the progress on the layout so far and the space I have availabl and how the loop that runs hidden around the back of the depot.

Jez

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

OK love that framed railfreight sector print - you could sell those! And I'll have one!

Layout coming on well!!

• Thanks 1

Hi

Regarding wagons for limestone. Ravenscraig would not only use the 'White Ladies' They also used Jua's (Acccurascale) I've seen footage with nine suitably weathered wagons behind a struggling class 37/0.

Stephen 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all

A little more progress ... stating with the flood loader ,started constructing a more permanent structure that will sit on a concrete base, ready for the Accurascale PTA tippler wagons that should be on their way.

Very happy with the Cavalex BBA's managed to find some coils to fit the cradles.

Jez

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

A little more progress on the loading bunker. Starting to cover  the structure with some blue ribbed card which gives the look of corrugated iron cladding it's easy to work with and will be easy to weather.... Also starting to construct a steel structure that will  support the overhang of the building the conveyor will enter.

Three packs of PTAs in British Steel Blue have arrived from Accurascale, they are superb in all ways and they will be a great addition to the layout.

Jez

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

A little more progress on the loading bunker, added some more steel to the supports to the overhang and a rooftop which will be covered in corrugated cladding along with one more end.

jez

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Mr Pix said:

Hi all

A little more progress on the loading bunker, added some more steel to the supports to the overhang and a rooftop which will be covered in corrugated cladding along with one more end.

jez

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

Nice update:senile:

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2020 at 16:00, Mr Pix said:

Hi all.

A little more progress on the loading bunker. Starting to cover  the structure with some blue ribbed card which gives the look of corrugated iron cladding it's easy to work with and will be easy to weather.... Also starting to construct a steel structure that will  support the overhang of the building the conveyor will enter.

Three packs of PTAs in British Steel Blue have arrived from Accurascale, they are superb in all ways and they will be a great addition to the layout.

Jez

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

The blue card looks ace....might I ask where you sourced that from?

On 18/02/2021 at 15:09, JC said:

The blue card looks ace....might I ask where you sourced that from?

Hi ... it comes from local stationary supplies in 3'x4' sheets in various colours. It's easy to cut and is very flexible. 

Not sure who manufactures it and store is currently closed.

Jez

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi

Not much progress to show... ballasting the reception sidings, trying to achieve a heavily work stained area with a bit of greenery that's managed to survive the oil and industrial grime, will go over the track with the airbrush to add some more grime.

Also had a go at weathering an OCA and HEA hopper wagons..... a bit of dry brushing and airbrushing.

Jez

IMG_2878.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

• Like 5

Looks good. I'm on similar lines to you, my layout is based on a proposed dock at Sutton near Mablethorpe and running coal traffic to the Trent valley power stations and auxiliary ore traffic to Scunthorpe. Unfortunately I've had to use later JUAs instead of the first pattern. I've just said that they've been retired from elsewhere. Luckily someone bought me presents at Christmas lol. The Accurascale models are fantastic.

FB_IMG_1612829995575.jpg.ea6af5eb645e6df7458172f5e6ee6ec2.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

A little progress...

a bit more ballast added to the storage sidings and more weathering to the flood loader, also a new loco added to the roster a Metals Thornaby 37 perfect for my timeline. Have started slowly weathering my fleet of wagons will show progress shortly.

Jez

IMG_2935.PNG

IMG_2936.PNG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 4

I thought you might want some help with the locos etc (better for you to have it and not need it etc...)

http://www.penmorfa.com/Wrexham/three.html

http://www.penmorfa.com/Wrexham/ten.html

I've linked the pages with from/to Scotland steel traffic

I'm waiting for my Cambrian BBAs to come through. I'm also going to be getting Bow Fell to be renamed and renumbered to Ben MacDui (I've climbed the mountain as well as that particular loco being more relevant to my interests).

I did think of a steel works reception yard layout (the idea hasn't totally gone), but I'm starting to edge towards a Teeside 'tail chaser'.

- I like history, so there's the appeal of the Stockton and Darlington

- I like coal and steel trains

- I inherited Mallard in BR Brunswick Green and a BR Two-Tone Deltic (as well as a few other locomotives) I'd like to give a run as 'railtour specials'

Still, there's still quite a bit of work to do to get my garage ready (I frequently put the cart before the horse!), but this notion of coal/steel, especially around Teeside, seems to be sticking in my mind...

Anyway, I like your layout. I look forward to seeing more and thanks for sharing too.

• Thanks 1