Lacathedrale

South East London Urban Terminus in Steam (was Holborn Viaduct (SE&CR))

Keeping just the single slip would provide some extra movements of empty stock etc so might be fun. Possibly more fun the building the double slip!

Terry

I guess I can always run or not run those empty movements with the connection in place, but I can't choose to run them without it!

I've also deciphered the plan, @TJ52 and realised that as a 1:10 slip the diamond MUST be switched,

image.png.e3ea0d471814a7a6187184bc8e1a117c.png

1:10 with a fixed K-crossing - note the MASSIVE gap - part of the reason why the prototype never used fixed crossings above 1:8!

image.png.ac50352bd5e259e5f01cd467eb75c37b.png

1:10 with a movable k-crossing. An extra pair of tie bars need to be fitted, adjacent the centre timber.

So overall, quite a complicated piece of track that 4/5 destinations on my layout must traverse, so worth getting right...

• Like 3

I've printed out the revised plan, and it looks really nice - there's no noticeable S-curve on the route from the up-main to P3 and overall I think it looks quite nice!

View from P1/2, pilot shed on the right looking towrds the throat

ECCDGyc.png

View from the signal gantry approaching the station

vEC9psL.png

Overall view showing the full extent of the  throat board - approx 3'6"

4uJIKgQ.png

One thing that has been on my mind is the notional plan I was working on for an urban terminus with @justin1985 - albeit set in a cutting. I've been delving through old photographs of Moorgate. I mean, just look at this and tell me it's not the scenic break between the throat and the station platforms:

zrzbYQw.png

Moorgate Street Station, circa 1960's?

By building the track on a separate board it could be mounted into a viaduct or at the base of a cutting. On one hand, stations-on-viaducts are basically my bread and butter - having commuted through London Bridge, Waterloo East, Charing Cross and Cannon Street - but it does make construction and maintenance significantly more difficult. A hybrid of Moorgate's setting and HV's track plan is a simple pivot, imagining Holborn Viaduct as an outgrowth of the low-level widened lines station, instead of way above ground level.

An aerial photo from the post-war era shows the station nestled in amongs road bridges and surrounded by large buildings, etc.

7bPbPxA.png

Moorgate Street Station, circa 1947 showing bomb damage

In layout form, the cutting could be omitted from the viewing side except for supports for road bridges similar to what you see here.

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 5

Modelling 1947, you would not have many buildings to worry about. It would also be rather a poignant reminder of a less privileged period of history.

Best wishes 

Eric

An interesting idea. For now my time scale is fairly elastic at roughly 1910-1955 for the layout, and the location is potentially now somewhat elastic too - either part of the LCDR Metropolitan Extension, or the actual HV location, or somewhere further east on the ELR. I suppose for now it doesn't matter!

I3wCMRK.png

Moorgate Street, Platform 6 circa 1910 showing the arrangement of canopies and platform furniture

The blitz-era illustrate why the station ended up looking quite so austere:

M564csi.png

Moorgate St towards the buffer stops of P5 and 6

ASdiQqh.png

Moorgate Street towards the throat. The leftmost bridge arch is the same as shown in the pre-group photo above

I think I'd rather go with Edwardian splendour, all told!

• Like 3

Edwardian would be great - though I have to say the brownish shades in that 1960s(?) shot of Moorgate  are pretty nice too. Although I suppose the film may have exaggerated them.

9 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

zrzbYQw.png

Moorgate Street Station, circa 1960's?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Edwardian would be great - though I have to say the brownish shades in that 1960s(?) shot of Moorgate  are pretty nice too. Although I suppose the film may have exaggerated them.

So much brown! 

I had lazily assumed the Met went straight from varnished teak to cheerful LT red - I guess we're looking at their equivalent of "LNER Teak Brown paint"? 

• Like 1

Is the unit behind the brown one in LT red? I do like the cast of the photo - it certainly has that evocative tone of sizzling tar, heat radiating brick and  dust.

1 minute ago, Lacathedrale said:

Is the unit behind the brown one in LT red? I do like the cast of the photo - it certainly has that evocative tone of sizzling tar, heat radiating brick and  dust.

by the looks of it it is. Think its F stock from the district by the looks of it