Plux22 to 21pin DCC

letterspider

I now have an SLW Class 24 and already have a Bachmann sound chip which I am happy with and would like to use.

Thank you in advance for the advice to get the Zimo sound chip recommended by SLW or selling off my chip - but

I am still interested to know if there is any plug in adaptor board to interface the PLUX22 to a 21 pin MTC chip - without any soldering?

Ade

Edited by AY Mod
Title corrected

Not only that, but there's so much more on the SLW sound file which you would not get with the Bachmann decoder. Also, if the Bachmann is an ESU, not all lights will work correctly without making changes. (The ZIMO has more function outputs so can control more features).

I don't know of any adapters which will fulfil your stated needs, but perhaps more pertinent is whether there would be enough space available for both such an adapter and the Bachmann decoder.

Depending on the age (model type) of your Bachmann sound decoder the SLW speakers may not be a sensible impedance match, possibly resulting in a damaged decoder amplifier.

Lots to think about.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
Add back the bits which got lost.
  • Like 1

I will be using iPhone speakers to begin with and they will be driven at low volume. Frankly I m not worried about flange squeal, compressors or such and I doubt my ears would notice the difference in quality for a bells and whistle chip 

I guess I will have to do without sound or use two break out boards and solder the wires between them

Thanks anyway

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update for anyone else trying this.

Using this

20200212_152212.jpg.1f9f2898d98d0c2959ec225786972f07.jpg

I was able to solder the wires on to the pin header.

All worked well except I noticed the Sound chip was running hot.

I couldn't find any fault with the wiring; could it be the iPhone speaker I was using - however I have never had problems with them in my other locos.

Possibly the resistance of all the wiring in the harness plus the internal gubbins of the SLW circuitry may be asking too much of the ESU decoder.

"resistance of wiring" isn't going to lead to over-load of a chip.   What leads to overload is "too little resistance" which results in too much current.

As Pauliebanger said above, there are a lot of circuits in the loco and the pins for PluX and MTC21 are different.  As you're re-wiring them, are you doing it correctly, or properly isolating things which are no longer connected ? 

- Nigel 

20 hours ago, letterspider said:

An update for anyone else trying this.

Using this

20200212_152212.jpg.1f9f2898d98d0c2959ec225786972f07.jpg

I was able to solder the wires on to the pin header.

All worked well except I noticed the Sound chip was running hot.

I couldn't find any fault with the wiring; could it be the iPhone speaker I was using - however I have never had problems with them in my other locos.

Possibly the resistance of all the wiring in the harness plus the internal gubbins of the SLW circuitry may be asking too much of the ESU decoder.

Is the impedance of the speaker correct for the application? It does not appear to be.

Edited by JohnDMJ