Morecambe to Lancaster Green Ayre LMS EMUs - where were they maintained?

Rail-Online

Hi,

I was wondering about the ex LMS EMUs used in the 1950s and 60s on the Morecambe/Heysham to Lancaster Green Ayre overhead electrified line.

I cannot recall any carriage sheds for them and was wondering where the day to day maintenance was done?  Things like inspections and brake block changes.  I guess they were dragged off to works for major stuff and again I wondered where.

I recall Horwich in the 1970s doing the LMR northern area EMUs (Wirral, Merseyside, Manchester-Bury) and earlier Gorton and Reddish doing the Glossop line ER EMUs (later would it be Horwich when Gorton closed?) but what about these EMUs?

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Article on Meols Cop at disused-stations.org :

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/meols_cop_triangle/index.shtml

Scroll down to the section about the Electric Car Sheds:

"EMUs from other systems including the Lancaster and Morecombe overhead network also came to Meols Cop for attention. They also returned upon their withdrawal in 1966 for breaking up."

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Tony, just seen this thread.   Day to day they were maintained in the open between two of the platforms at Morecambe.   In Midland days they were maintained at Derby with one set at a time sent down in the winter leaving the other two to maintain the service.  I suspect that the Midland ones continued to go to Derby all their lives. The BR sets went to Meols Cop and there is a book with photos of them either there or en route.  

There was a proposal, in the 1920's, to build a servicing shed at Heysham and I have seen a drawing.  The shed would have been beyond the platforms at the end of the pier.  However this came to nought.  I might be able to send you a photo of the proposal drawing.

Any more info you want about the units please keep in touch, as well as keeping my wagon building up to scratch.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, att is a photo of the test build of a new 4mm etched N-S kit of one of these Siemens units -"22" the one with all the boxes underneath the DMBS rather than stuffed between the cab and the guard's compartment like the other units. The intention is to scale it up to 7mm when I get some spare time. I believe an article on it is in preparation by its current owner.

class 301.JPG

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Like 8

In relation to these units withdrawal and breaking up; I heard that somewhere in the higher offices of BR it had been noted that the unit fitted with germanium rectifiers had a higher mileage between repairs than the others. Somebody decided this warranted further investigation and wanted the equipment saved from the breakers. Too late; it had already been broken up. A not unusual case in big organisations, head office demands a ton of records and paperwork and then does nothing with it until too late. 

Edit: Think it was from Rev. Bob Jackson author of the book on the LMH electric trains.