Getting back into it. 2x4 in N plus questions

Decisions decisions!

This forum has really reignited the spark for me and with my son showing a keen interest in trains it was only a matter of time before working on Dad’s layout would be joined by working on one at home.

Its practice, honest! As such it doesn’t have to be amazing, I’m just getting my eye in.

So - the decisions.

1. This may seem quite obvious, but I will open it up to the readership. I have a very eclectic stock collection based on gifts down the years and bargains on eBay after a beer (or several). So which to use.. These consist of a very old 0-6-0 (J74?) austerity tank, and an 0-6-0 Jinty (both DC and in early BR crest), an apparently DCC ready London Transport Panier tank BNIB, a class 43 diesel (DC in grey....), 66022 (DC, pictured) which is pre-owned but seems to run ok, and 66720 / 66719 (basic DCC decoders fitted). I looked at converting 66022 to DCC but it looks like I’d need to cut into the weight inside which I didn’t feel up to at the time. Given the tiny board I’m thinking the natural choice world be to focus on the smaller steam locos..

...but...

2. DC or DCC. This decision runs against the obvious choice above. With DCC this could become a busy yard with lots of shunting interest. The LT panier might reasonably sit alongside the more modern diesels as a persevered specimen (don’t they still run it...?). That would mean converting the LT, class 66 and class 43(?) to DCC and setting it in the present. I have a sprog and an app on the phone to control it which I was experimenting with for Dads shed ‘til were realised how much it would cost to DCC convert his whole fleet.... I’ve run the DCC ‘66s with it and it works a treat.

Just to add, the older steam locos seem to have had hard lives. The J74 runs smoothly backwards but doesn’t like to go forwards. The Jinty has a bent axle or similar and even at low speed shakes so hard it sometimes uncouples. Are these likely to be repairable?

Back on topic, I suspect they’re too small to DCC convert (?) so would need to buy a controller where I have everything I need for DCC. Bet that’s seldom the case....

Over to you all then... Input, suggestions, inspirations, all gratefully received!

Thanks for reading, I’m off to look at layout plans!

F6B44B28-9F6D-4C82-8491-AA4B75C9C11F.jpeg

A2128F03-9197-4459-9D40-5C3283BF8FB7.jpeg

BDF58654-5ADD-49A5-970A-B16199D07A89.jpeg

Edited by Realistic_build_Speed
Title misleading

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit worried about the radiator close to the baseboard; it might be worth considering protecting the underside with aluminium foil to direct the heat out into the room and away from the wood.  I would not personally recommend sourcing locos or stock from 'Bay if you are a newbie, as they often need a bit of fettling to get the best out of them and older ones may prove problematic to convert to DCC should you go down that route.  If you can afford DCC, surely you can afford new models...

• Like 1

Hadn’t considered the radiator, thanks for the hint!

In my case DCC just required a SPROG, a job lot of decoders and some research, rather than a mega budget.

I think you make a valid point though, having now costed up the track & build accessories I’m likely to need it’s clear that cheap locos risk ruining a sizeable investment of time and money.

For now I’m minded to ask a pro to look the J94 and the Jinty - replacing with new if required - then build this as a DC shunting puzzle with a loop to re learn the skills.

I can do something more ambitious for the larger diesels later once I’ve learned on this.

Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

A lot of rolling stock (i.e. wagons and coaches) on eBay is virtually new. I've not had any problems with models I've bought 2nd hand from eBay. Just read the description and look at the photos. If the model sounds and looks like it's in good condition then it'll probably work just as well as a new one from a shop.

Do watch out though, you can often find brand-new models in shops for less than you can get them 2nd hand from eBay.

Steven B.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 12:56, Steven B said:

Do watch out though, you can often find brand-new models in shops for less than you can get them 2nd hand from eBay.

Steven B.

My Dad has quite a few ebay models. Aside from a wheel falling off a 4-6-2 after 6 months he’s had no problems...  My Class 66 above has been no trouble.

Sadly the Jinty (the only one likely to fit on a 2x4 layout) is damaged...

Will keep and eye out for the used > new price though! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Rough concept mock up. I didn’t want to just use a downloaded layout and while this isn’t startlingly original it works with what I have.

Objective of this layout is simply to get my eye back in to modelling and have something to entertain my son - so that feels ok.

The concept is for two small steam locos, both goods. I have a pair of wagon rakes. One loco shuttles ore from a quarry scene at the top and another either runs round or stops to take the loads away to wherever they’re needed.

It currently has just One loop, one yard area with three roads (ish) for shunting, one elevated section and tunnel for a bit of modelling / visual interest. I’d like it to work when viewed from any angle so I’ll make the section which disappears behind the gradient scenic as well. 

The inner line going into the tunnel just ends in there - however there’s space for some thing short. Thinking about it I could reverse the points outside the tunnel mouth and not only win myself a slightly more gentle gradient on the climb but allow a single coach passenger train to pop out from the “inner” tunnel occasionally.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments...? Is there any “low hanging fruit” for easy improvements or any evident calamities which I’ll later regret...?

261479AB-8B8D-4F0A-8485-B13F5CF659AC.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Quick update and another question.

I went basic to get started so I now have two loops, crossover and sidings. I treated myself to a brand new Gaugemaster twin controller and it’s all up and running.

I’ve got a lot more rolling stock than I remembered. Two J94 austerity tanks and the Jinty in BR black, early crest. I’ve got two rakes of wagons, one is eight iron ore hopers the other is 11 “Millom” plank wagons, plus some misc wagons and two guards vans. Pics to follow.

As pictured above I have a few more modern diesels (class 08, 37 and 3x class 66) but I’m finding myself less fussed about those. I like steam.

The question. I also have a rake of BR Maroon coaches. I really like the idea of a mostly freight working layout with something really special flying through occasionally pulling a passenger train.

Would it be too much to put a Garter Blue LNER A4 at the head of the coaches? I’m not certain on the time difference between early BR and the first LNER...? I’ve seen threads on here that imply some lesser engines such as my shunters were never Re painted out of early BR. If so it’d seem to work....?

I think the last Blue A4 was gone by about 1952 while the Maroon main line stock was about 1956, prior to that 1949 on Min line stock was Carmine and Cream, blood and custard.

Suburban stock was red from 1949.   LMS stock was near BR Maroon till 1949 then Carmine and cream but an A4 on LMS stock was a bit unlikely, unlike the Western Region where LMS stock on the Devon main line was an everyday coinsurance. 

BR started 1st Jan 1948 but they took a while to sort out liveries, initially most most locos had LMS/LNER/SR or GWR livery with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the side. Most had a repaint when overhauled at around 80 000 miles which was 15 months ish for 7P and 8P locos and several years for some less used devices.

I have never seen a picture of a J94 on passenger work in BR days.

Many Jinties had vacuum brakes and some also had steam heat for passenger work.

No reason you can't run modern image one day and steam another.

I can't make out the track plan but it doesn't seem to give much operational interest. and looks like the yard approach is under the upper level just where derailments are likely.  There are plenty of 8X4 and smaller OO layouts by C J Freezer etc you could adapt for 4X2 in N

You can get more play value from a single long siding that a fan of several short ones if you have to remove some but not all the wagons in the siding and leave some but not all the wagons in your train. If you don't have a run round at the terminus then you just about have to use DCC to allow a second loco to help shunt.

• Like 1

Thanks David,

I did note a few better layout plans but I just wanted to use the ebay odds & sods I have initially to see if my son liked it. Picture of the current version attached. It only has a few brand new bits included to make it connect, so cheap as chips and works a treat. I have a few more off-cut bits of flexi track I can use to create the sidings. Just not got round to it yet. He’s too young for shunting puzzles at the moment so no urgency, he just loves watching them going round in circles. I need to make some basic scenery as he keeps asking for the trains to go into a tunnel like they do in Grandad’s shed...

Thanks also for the lesson in stocks and workable combinations. My plan is to keep two of the diesels for myself (sentimental value) for static display / occasional outings. I’ll use the other diesels (08, 37, 66) for my son to play on this layout. It’ll remain a toy for him.

The rest of the rolling stock has another destiny. I’ve got quite a few larger bits of wood with baseboard potential, so I’ll be making myself an actual model on one of them. How soon that happens depends  how long social distancing lasts!

I need to decide on era etc. I’m tempted by LNER as I like freight, their locos and their liveries. I also used to live in the region so I guess that’s some basis for affinity. Would mean offloading the locos / coaches that don’t fit of course. The perils of collecting over the years rather than planning ahead!

edit: rushed by my son grabbing phone so will add detail later 

25FF5864-3286-46A5-8DC2-3F4C1906D700.jpeg