Rust

• RMweb Premium

I've usually modelled rust by painting games workshop typhus corrosion (with bits in) and artists acrylic burnt umber on top of the factory finish and then when dry, scrubbing and scratching most of it off, which leaves some residue and creates powder streaks in the process.

This works well but for variety and as I'm doing a couple of wagons which require the factory finish to be changed anyway, I want to try the salt method.

I know this is an open question but what are peoples go to rust concoctions, preferably in enamel? Pics would be good please!

Edited by Hal Nail

Good that you have posted this thread.  Always useful to find out what others are doing.  You already have my method so I won't repeat myself.

Mick, that wagon looks superb.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Thanks 1

The salt method requires that you paint the model a rust colour first before adding salt and then the topcoat.

I use Humbrol 62 (matt leather)  + Humbrol matt black in varioud hues to simulate rust.

Also try using artists oils - burnt sienna / black - is good for rust spots or scratches.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ross34 said:

The salt method requires that you paint the model a rust colour first before adding salt and then the topcoat.

I use Humbrol 62 (matt leather)  + Humbrol matt black in varioud hues to simulate rust.

Also try using artists oils - burnt sienna / black - is good for rust spots or scratches.

Well this is where I am with the base layer - Humbrol 173 and 37 dabbed and scrubbed onto a base typhus corrosion. If it doesnt work out can always knock it back with wet and dry and try again.

DSC_1009a.jpg.119ad7cf71f51e62f8fd77c3033b6101.jpgDSC_1011a.jpg.547dfb3ae6f649a7e2d61a1b84afd3f0.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've never heard of typhus corrosion with bits in but use a varied mix of Humbrol leather, rust, black and any orange I have to hand, the latter in small amounts only.  I file hardened DAS clay or pastel colours into a course powder and mix this into the paint,  the whole mess is applied with an old stiff brush or cocktail stick or anything else that happens to be lying on the workbench.

crop2.jpg.9d28d63b618340fa0f9f7612a9373e8d.jpg

crop1.jpg.4a2737bb40e36d893f5ab31205478e46.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...

I tend to use some of the Vallejo rust effects mixed with talcon powder,

so when it drys your get "rust effect" but with crusty layer left on the surface like here with my dogfish wagon...

thumbnail_IMG_0349.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8215.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8221.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8222.jpg

• Like 1