Clay hoods over the Goss Moor Bridge

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've all seen the iconic photos of a class 37 pulling a long rake of clay hoods over the Goss Moor bridge, but where were they coming from ?

Looking at the maps I can see the St Dennis Junction, but this only seems to allow direct access from the clay works towards Newquay?  Did the trains have to go there and then be reversed ?

Thanks

Stu

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi all,

We've all seen the iconic photos of a class 37 pulling a long rake of clay hoods over the Goss Moor bridge, but where were they coming from ?

Looking at the maps I can see the St Dennis Junction, but this only seems to allow direct access from the clay works towards Newquay?  Did the trains have to go there and then be reversed ?

Thanks

Stu

Stu, they had to reverse out of St Dennis Junction yard towards Newquay but didn't go all the way there if that's what you meant.

• Thanks 1

Many years ago my parents and I went to Newquay to visit the relatives, every time we passed by St Dennis Jct, I always looked out from the car and once there were a couple of Panniers running around their train.  I immediately 'ordered' my Dad to stop!  He did so, but a fair distance away and by that time the guards van was on the Newquay end and the locos were ready to push back so it seems this was SOP from way back!  Looking back, it might have been easier to go back down the way they came after reversal, straight to St Blazey.:unknw_mini:

Brian

• Like 2