BR A1 class and class 40 coaches and trains question

mikesndbs

I have two locomotives that I’d like advice on trains they would have pulled during specific year ranges.

BR 60143 SIR WALTER SCOTT (A1 class) 1949-59

D396 (class 40)   during 1962/3 while based at Gateshead.

I’d like to select the best coaches from my stock for these two, would Maroon BR mark 1s cover them both?

Please feel free to suggest other trains.

Many thanks

Mike

17/05/1984

Withdrawn

Condemned as 40196

01/01/1985

Scrapped

Broken up by Locomotive Works: Doncaster

06/05/1964

Withdrawn

Condemned as 60143 from York (North) (50A)

The class 40, very simple, an all maroon set of mk1s (substitute a maroon Gresley or Thompson vehicle or two if a little variety is required) BSK/SK/SK/SK/RB/SO/RK/FO/FK/FK/BSK would be a fairly standard set.

The date range for the A1 covers teak, BR carmine and cream and BR maroon, so you can go for a really mixed appearance. Or if really adventurous look at Colour Rail BRE1136 taken at Holgate in August 1949. There's what looks for all the world like two coaches in BR blue and grey in the train. What they are is an articulated pair from the Coronation or West Riding set. Likewise the loco green and cream 'Tourist stock' was still to be seen at that time. Or you could use the all maroon mk1 set above for a principal service in the late 50s, as efforts were made to present such trains as smartly as possible.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In 1953 a brand new rake of Thompson coaches in crimson/cream was provided for the ‘Elizabethan’ so you could even do that at a push!  By 62 the Detics and Brush Type 4s were taking over the top link jobs, and D396 would have appeared on cross-country work or main line stoppers, so  more mixed stock would have been seen behind her.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

A little off-piste, but on Page 91 of 'The Red Dragon and other old friends', there is a photo taken at Maliphant carriage sidings, Swansea. It is of a rake of Gresleys which would normally work the weekly Swansea- Newcastle. On the day of the photograph, in Summer 1958, the rake was being used to cover the South Wales Pullman, which was trapped in another part of the yard by a derailment.

What is interesting is that the coaches are painted in a single colour; as they're hardly in ex-works condition, I think we can rule out their being in maroon. Is it possible they would be in (rather worn) teak?