Air Ministry 14 Ton Tank Wagons (B Type)

les101975jud

I am interested in putting a train of these wagons together and wondered how many of them would make up a typical train.  Was there any restriction on the number for safety reasons?  It would be for the BR era in the late 1950s.  I am not sure how common they would be across the rail network but would be interested in any geographical information.

Regards Les

In the Mitchell and Smith book "East Croydon to Three Bridges" is a picture of a Hoo Junction to Three Bridges freight most likely to be destined to Rowfant. The train is headed by an ex LBSCR K class loco it consist of BR standard Brake Van 2 x 16t minerals 20 to 22 tanks 2 x minerals and a final Brake van. The picture is dated August 1959.

Keith 

21 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

"Oil on the Rails" will have all the answers.

If the Rowfant train has two barrier wagons at each end it's probably carrying 'Class A' liquids ( silver tanks in '59 ) rather than 'Class B' ( black ). 

The wagons show up as dark grey in the picture with potentially whiteish ends.

Keith

From my understanding, Class A tanks (carrying aviation petrol) were phased out after the war as aircraft transitioned to jet power, using less volatile Kerosene as fuel.  Class A tank trains DID require barrier wagons.  I'm not so sure that Class B trains required barrier wagons.

John

The various 'Ministry' tanks were sold at the end of hostilities; most ended up with the major oil companies. I'm trying to imagine why  the Air Ministry were using 'Class B' tanks, as aviation fuel was Class A, and, unlike the Germans, we didn't have diesel-powered aircraft, which would have used Class B fuel. My impression, from photos of the time, is that in most cases, until the late 1950s, most tank wagons ran as part of mixed freights, except between the refineries and the nearest yard. At most, there might be a small group of half-a-dozen together, but I have seen lots of photos with a single tank in a mixed freight.

21 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I'm trying to imagine why  the Air Ministry were using 'Class B' tanks, as aviation fuel was Class A, and, unlike the Germans, we didn't have diesel-powered aircraft, which would have used Class B fuel.

Could the Class B fuel be for diesel vehicles used by the Air Ministry, repair trucks, transporters, small fuel bowsers, etc.? Or were there too many 'B' tanks running around for that purpose alone?

Many years ago Modellers Backtrack published an excellent, informative, well illustrated (photos and scale drawings) two part article by Peter Fidczuck.

"Air Ministry Tank Wagons"

Part 1 - The war years

Part 2 - Post war service.

Those articles should answer most questions on the subject, it's the most info I've seen on these tanks, in one place.

Brian R

25 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

Could the Class B fuel be for diesel vehicles used by the Air Ministry, repair trucks, transporters, small fuel bowsers, etc.? Or were there too many 'B' tanks running around for that purpose alone?

The UK military has fought shy of diesel for years; even AFVs were petrol-fuelled during WW2. I'm not sure what the policy is now, but into the 1970s, virtually everything ran on petrol.

1 hour ago, dvdlcs said:

There were a lot less class B air ministry tanks than class A, most were designated as lubricating oil.

They were only numbered in the air ministry series for convenience, they were under the control of the petroleum board and would be used for any flow along with the pooled wagons from the oil companies.