Neat set up Andrew. This is my first post on RMweb. You've inspired my next small layout project. I really like your modeling style and track plan. Here's an example of some of my work. I'll post my new plan as influenced by St. Budoc if you're interested. Regards, -Bill

brewer10-3-10.jpg

Hi Bill Always like to see other peoples work so yes post a topic and PM me. I thought I had sold St Budoc but the chap never showed up.

Very impressive layout there, I'm a O gauger myself and admire your constraint for keeping it to 9', at our club we started at 8' decided to add 4' but now we're now adding another 4'.(at the moment)

Nigel

Hi Nigel, I am stuck at 9 ft as that is the length of my model room but if I take it up to our club room I may extend it to through running over the level crossing.

Just started in O myself and lucky to have a bit of extra lenght to play with at 16ft. Very inspirational stuff, keep us posted on your O gauge efforts. Thanks.

So you liked it so much you said it twice, Thanks Andy. 

• 3 months later...

Well I have now put St Budoc up for sale again after the sale last year fell through, (see classifieds) It is wired for DC available with or without the Orbit Hand Held controller. Conversion to DCC should not be to difficult. Remember its only 9 ft long with 5 sidings so is good for shunting etc.

post-9335-0-53091100-1299685651_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98559000-1299685720_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-39659300-1299685823_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh if I only had the storage space (and the spare cash)

Agreed!

Good job you didn't post the photos showing the BR Blue 47...or else there would about to be a 'bank job' in progress in Barcelona ;)

I do hope the layout finds a good home...and that we get to see a lot more of it on the forum here.

Inspiring modelling in a small space.

Pete

• 10 months later...

Made it at last, See Railway Modeller supplement on compact layouts, Edited down from the original doc so as to fit the space available but it still looks O.K. I am pleased anyway, wish I had not sold it now!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Nice little layout. I built my 0 gauge layout on three 1metre boards included the fiddle yard and only five points. To save space for hedges and some trees I painted the stems and branches on the backscene and then glued some woodlands scenics foliage mat on. People seemed to like it at exhibitions. I gave it to a mate to make room for the next layout. Next layout was destroyed in a house move.

Don

Nice little layout. I built my 0 gauge layout on three 1metre boards included the fiddle yard and only five points. To save space for hedges and some trees I painted the stems and branches on the backscene and then glued some woodlands scenics foliage mat on. People seemed to like it at exhibitions. I gave it to a mate to make room for the next layout. Next layout was destroyed in a house move.

Don

Cheers Don, Y es exhibition managers are tending to go for more small layouts these days for verity.

Hi

Love the photos mate, Love the aged look...

Great photos... Upload More...More...

Jamie

Hi Jamie, the layout is now sold but I think I do have some photos in my archive so I will dig them out.

Simple design and a lovely layout. quite impressed too how much detail can be captured in such a small space. Impressed with the use of colours on this layout.

Thanks for your nice comments about the colour's. In the full write up I had described how I had used the Hanging Basket liner in 3 different ways, i.e face up, face down and ten pulled off and finally trimmed some parts with sissors.

• 1 month later...

This layout now goes under the name Eigh Bay Halt. It was at the Erith show at the end of January with its current owner (!), don't think it was the person that Andy sold it to. The name change comes down as to where the current owner bought it from. I was speaking with him yesterday and showed him the Railway Modeller pullout in which it featured, he said he knew it was appearing in the Modeller but thought it was the magazine itself and not a pull out. Have to say it was nice to be able to watch it in operation.

Colin

This layout now goes under the name Eigh Bay Halt. It was at the Erith show at the end of January with its current owner (!), don't think it was the person that Andy sold it to. The name change comes down as to where the current owner bought it from. I was speaking with him yesterday and showed him the Railway Modeller pullout in which it featured, he said he knew it was appearing in the Modeller but thought it was the magazine itself and not a pull out. Have to say it was nice to be able to watch it in operation.

Colin

Hi Colin, First of all thanks for your nice comments, St Budoc as it was, was suppossed to be a full article in run of magazine with 5 or 6 pages and a very long write up, but, unfortunately Steve Flint had to edit it down to fit the supliment so thats the reason it was so small. Originally Steve took about 20 photos and they looked superb so it was a great pitty that it could not go in to the magazine run. Hope this helps, as for the layout it self I would have liked to have bought it back myself had I known it was up for sale as it was so good to operate. All the best Andy.

• 5 months later...

Andrew,

I am more than just fascinated by your work! It reminds me a little of a layout named "Dallington" as published in Nigel Adams´ book "Layout For Limited Spaces", but with a variation in the track plan.

I have been trying to draw the track plan, using Peco bullhead track and turnouts, but somehow it does not work out. Do you have a track plan to publish here?

Andrew,

I am more than just fascinated by your work! It reminds me a little of a layout named "Dallington" as published in Nigel Adams´ book "Layout For Limited Spaces", but with a variation in the track plan.

I have been trying to draw the track plan, using Peco bullhead track and turnouts, but somehow it does not work out. Do you have a track plan to publish here?

Hi Sir Madog, I have never heard of Darllington or Nigel Adams but thanks for the comments. As for track a plan, look at the first two photos and that is it, in photo 2 the track to the right goes to the Clay shed the rest to the fiddle yard. All the best Andy.

Andy,

I really have to admit that I have fallen in love with your layout. It is so atmospheric and well balanced. I tend to put too much in a given space - my own attempt at drafting up a layout has more track and more buildings in the same and that may be just a notch too much speed.

What I was wondering about is how rewarding it is to operate such a small layout and what a typical operation sequence would be. Does it keep the operator busy for half an hour or more?

Please excuse my being so curious, but I have only little experience in the operation of such a layout.

Andy,

I really have to admit that I have fallen in love with your layout. It is so atmospheric and well balanced. I tend to put too much in a given space - my own attempt at drafting up a layout has more track and more buildings in the same and that may be just a notch too much speed.

What I was wondering about is how rewarding it is to operate such a small layout and what a typical operation sequence would be. Does it keep the operator busy for half an hour or more?

Please excuse my being so curious, but I have only little experience in the operation of such a layout.

Hi Sir Madog, good to hear from you, St Budoc and Trebudoc both rely on just shunting wagons about, but the nice thing is, you can take your time and talk to the paying public at the same time. There is only so much you can do with 3 or 4 sidings but I find it more rewarding than say a depot layout that is purley moving locos. Also I took some 15 or so wagons to Ruddington with Trebudoc at the weekend and only used about 8 or so all weekend. I also only had 2 locos on the Sat and with George T's 2 we had 4 on the Sunday. Thanks for your interest, Andy.