Reeuse ( Now for Sale )

Hi Everyone. 

This is my new micro layout based on Paul A Lunns micro layout that appeared in the latest model rail.

The track plan is virtually the same and I'm going to reeuse things I have lying about and I'm going to spend as little as possible on new things for the layout. 

So far I have painted the baseboard which is a 4ft x 1ft pine shelf I have had for ages and track is laid which I had from a previous dismantled layout. 

Only thing I have bought is a superquick platform. 

Here are a couple of photos:

20200222_073840.jpg.6e7634f8430d17bd271e1fb3b2abd032.jpg

20200222_073831.jpg.404bc00b2e65af4f3fa921a5bb06cf86.jpg

The layout has progressed slightly since I took these, a platform has been added. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Sale
  • Like 12

Thanks guys for your replies. 

I started the layout the day after model rail magazine came out,  I liked the plan so much I thought I would have a go.

The buildings in the goods yard are wills and the signal box is a metcalfe kit.

The extra length makes a difference certainly and the extra point to the original in Paul's book also makes a difference. 

Ballasting is next.

Jerry. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jerry

When I first saw the title of your thread, I thought you had gone continental,'Reeuse' sounded French :laugh_mini: but soon realised my error.

Looks good so far, Im looking forward to seeing this develop.

All the best

Mark

• Funny 1

46 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Hi Jerry

When I first saw the title of your thread, I thought you had gone continental,'Reeuse' sounded French :laugh_mini: but soon realised my error.

Looks good so far, Im looking forward to seeing this develop.

All the best

Mark

It does sound french, but it's just one of my puns for the name of the layout. 

Thanks to everyone who has replied,  left likes,  comments etc.

Here is a photo of the latest development on the layout showing the platform:

20200227_181551.jpg.f9d83724502a4e8670b80e18f12a320e.jpg

I'm going to build a small platform shelter or a small station building,  but first I will ballast the track and finish painting the sides of the rails. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 4

Thanks Paul. 

I originally had the platform track slightly curved but thought it would be better straight as it would be easier to build and as you say you don't get overhang from coaches etc.

I am wondering what to do in the goods yard area, leave it painted grey and weather it or do something else. 

Jerry. 

3 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Thanks Paul. 

I originally had the platform track slightly curved but thought it would be better straight as it would be easier to build and as you say you don't get overhang from coaches etc.

I am wondering what to do in the goods yard area, leave it painted grey and weather it or do something else. 

Jerry. 

Hi Jerry, I did a mixture of coal, particularly around the staithe, tarmac, ballast much with weeds growing through, there's a big piece with ash and the like in it and it's edged with reclaimed sleepers.  You can see it in the photo's of the staithe and in the foreground of the goods platform on my post  Kind regards Paul

• Thanks 1

Hi Jerry

Well dam and blast looking at what you are doing is very similar to what I have been working on for months now lol.

Even down to the same goods shed! In the same place on a 4'x1' layout, l will start a thread when I figure out how to post photos on this site.

Went out today to buy a copy of the Model Rail mag to check out the track plan might alter mine as not yet fully committed.

Will be following with interest and would like to know what station building you will be using?

Kind. Regards John.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JSWM said:

Hi Jerry

Well dam and blast looking at what you are doing is very similar to what I have been working on for months now lol.

Even down to the same goods shed! In the same place on a 4'x1' layout, l will start a thread when I figure out how to post photos on this site.

Went out today to buy a copy of the Model Rail mag to check out the track plan might alter mine as not yet fully committed.

Will be following with interest and would like to know what station building you will be using?

Kind. Regards John.

Hi John, Here's an aerial photo at mock-up stage, I managed to add in another non-scenic storage line top right but the rest stayed pretty much as it is.  Hope this helps, kind regards Paul

BS_13.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Everyone. 

I was unsure what building I was going to use, then by chance I found myself in a shop today that sells xbox games etc and they also sell some second hand trains etc.

I had a rummage in a box on the floor and found a Hornby r510 platform shelter,  it was dirty and in need of a repaint. 

I asked how much and the bloke said £1.50 so I couldn't resist. 

Here is a photo of tonight's work, the repainted building:

20200228_193812.jpg.d3f26323a7ec86f9d44932e59d9ccb4e.jpg

It looks better than the photo.

Tomorrow's work will have to wait until Sunday as it's the wife's birthday,  she's a leap year baby.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Jerry1975 said:

Jerry. 

I like that Jerry, neat finish.  I repainted one of those (very badly!) in red and cream when I was a teenager.  By coincidence, it's currently sat in a tub of Dettol, stripping off my teenage paint job so I can rebuild/repaint it for use on an upcoming narrow gauge layout.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jerry1975 said:

Hi Everyone. 

I was unsure what building I was going to use, then by chance I found myself in a shop today that sells xbox games etc and they also sell some second hand trains etc.

I had a rummage in a box on the floor and found a Hornby r510 platform shelter,  it was dirty and in need of a repaint. 

Tomorrow's work will have to wait until Sunday as it's the wife's birthday,  she's a leap year baby.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

Phew at least we haven't the same station building. Wish your wife a happy birthday from this household 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dzine said:

Hi John, Here's an aerial photo at mock-up stage, I managed to add in another non-scenic storage line top right but the rest stayed pretty much as it is.  Hope this helps, kind regards Paul

BS_13.jpg

Thanks  for that Paul. I have admired your plans as inspirational for some time but still searching for something that satisfies my requirements.  Keep up the good work.....

Kind regards John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Hi Everyone. 

Jerry. 

I used one of those on my Christmas layout - I think it's a really underated model. They looks so awfully toy like, but with nothing more than a couple of coats of paint, they transform into a a really good looking, realistic building.

JRB

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, jrb said:

I used one of those on my Christmas layout - I think it's a really underated model. They looks so awfully toy like, but with nothing more than a couple of coats of paint, they transform into a a really good looking, realistic building.

JRB

You're absolutely right JRB and it applies to a lot of the old Hornby stuff, even some Tri-ang components, Dapol kits and the like.  You just have to look at them in a different light and do a bit of work on them.  Here's the old Hornby buffer stop with a big lump of plastic where the buffer beam should be together with a modified version with extra diagonal brace at the rear and Costa coffee stirrer beam at the front.  Kind regards Paul

BS_32.jpg

BS_33.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Everyone. 

Many thanks for all of your replies. 

My wife had a great birthday and was spoilt rotten,  thanks John for the birthday wishes. 

I like the buffer stop idea paul, very clever use of a Hornby item. 

There is quite a bit you can do with old stuff you may have around your home and just with a little bit of imagination patience you can transform them. 

Well tonight have been ballasting some of the track, it's also been painted too, just need to finish the rest of ballasting tomorrow.

I will post a photo when it's completed. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Missed a word out
  • Like 2

Hi Everyone. 

I have been working on the layout today and planted a tree which I made myself using the twisted wire technique and plaster and lichen. 

I've also done a bit of ballasting and painted the track. 

Here is a couple  of photos of lastest progress:

20200303_153500.jpg.bb71dcaa5c6b3b437d90c223abe28361.jpg

20200303_153633.jpg.594300cca097e21049c0a47431d09db7.jpg

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks booking hall and Kevin for kind comments. 

A bit more work yesterday and in keeping with the reuse and recycle theme I made a road bridge out of leftover balsa wood and some foam board.

Here is a quick photo:

20200305_181548.jpg.754bbf7a4dcab420c3a03c5feae19c6c.jpg

Its a bit of a mishmash and needs a bit of tidying,  next job is to cover it in Metcalfe brick paper.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 4