The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

1930s RN Ship Quiz anyone?

billy_anorak59

Anyone interested in the inter-War Royal Navy?

My mother went on holiday to the Devon area in 1937 as a small girl, and took a boat trip down the River Dart – her Father took some Brownie-type photographs, and I’ve scanned them, and tried to identify the ships depicted in them, but with mixed results. Some I know for sure, others not so sure, and finally no idea.

I was just wondering if anyone would like the challenge, and confirm or add to my findings?

Q1: Obviously a County-Class cruiser, but which one? I ‘think’ I know…

Q1.jpg.cb3285b9a237658a3aacd8eaf26a50b2.jpg

Q2: Definitely know this one.

Q2.jpg.6fb7c5ea56c33eb9f1356ea7b01fe3f1.jpg

Q3: I ‘think’ I know this one.

Q3.jpg.e9d54d11e7d264b69990fdc19c378f56.jpg

Q4:  The same ship as in Q3 on the left, but I have no idea on the ship on the right – sorry, long-range and a bit fuzzy.

Q4.jpg.1398eb0e07b8ffa067bf809d47676ddc.jpg

Q5: Destroyer, submarine, and a depot ship. I’ve no ideas as to class or identity of any of them.

Q5.jpg.cb110406e33e251c02b2eb09bca9b0ce.jpg

Billy Bonus:

My Father took this photograph in (about 1951). What? Where? (I know the answer to this one)

SBonus.jpg.4b44cdd8d666c4d0311e17f273f93076.jpg

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Odd, the stacks on the 1951 photo seem to be covered; is she laid up?

Usual sort of procedure and no ensign flying so paid off into reserve.  Difficult to see if she has been cocooned - which would make her HMS King Ggeorge V but otherwise she is either HMS Duke of York or HMS anson both of which were also in reserve/laid up in Scottish waters in 1951. So might be Gareloch or elsewhere somewhere off the Clyde. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 is HMS Hermes

3 is a Hawkins-class cruiser, Frobisher or Hawkins. The other ship in the class, Effingham, was extensively rebuilt starting in 1937, so I guess it could possibly be her, depending on the exact date.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

My non-expert take on this:

Q1 - HMS Cornwall - the external bulges make it a Type 1 County, the presence of a hanger in 1937 and the lack of a cut down stern point to Cornwall rather than any of the others.

Q2 - Agree with Jim, its HMS Hermes

Q3 - Agree this is a Cavendish (or Hawkins) class cruiser but think it is probably Vindictive, which was a training cruiser at the time, but could also be Frobisher (also a training cruiser up to 1937).  Doubt if it would be Hawkins, as she was in Portsmouth reserve at the time.

Q4 - No idea what the fuzzy ship is.

Edit: On blowing it up as much as possible, ship appears to have three funnels, so I suspect it is Cornwall again

Q5 - Can't see enough of the depot ship to identify her.

Destroyer appears to be an Admiralty Large Leader class(it has two apparently round funnels, a midships gun on a bandstand and small gun shields that don't reach the deck)

Inboard submarine looks like a minelaying submarine of the Grampus class, probably Narwhal, as the other two that were in commission at the time (Grampus and Rorqual) were in China at the time.

Outboard sumbarine looks like a Group 1 S class (Swordfish class) (later Groups of the S class (Shark and following types) had a longer projection forwards from the base of the conning tower).

Edited by eastglosmog
Had another look at the fuzzy ship
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

2 is HMS Hermes

3 is a Hawkins-class cruiser, Frobisher or Hawkins. The other ship in the class, Effingham, was extensively rebuilt starting in 1937, so I guess it could possibly be her, depending on the exact date.

Jim

I suspect it is HMS Frobisher - she is riding high so presumably light as she would have been in reserve.  Apparently HMS Hawkins was demilitarised before being placed in reserve in the late 1930s

• Informative/Useful 2