Klondyke siding, origins of the word....?

18B

There's a village in Belgium called Graid Station. And yes, it still has a station.

Re Berkswell, my cousin owns Berkswell windmill if anyone's passing that way.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm sure there are other examples where the settlement takes its name from the railway station though, frustratingly, none spring to mind.

I know of one and in one respect it is rather amusing.  Challow Station is a hamlet in the Vale of the White Horse District which is part of Oxfordshire (It used to be in Berkshire, along with East & West Challow).  The station was originally called Faringdon Road but was renamed Challow after the opening of the Faringdon branch; it closed in 1964 although some evidence of it still remains.  Place name road sign on the left side of the road, immediately ahead is the bridge over the GWML which, in preparation for electrification replaced the bridge constructed for the 1930s quadrupling.  

Amusingly Wikipedia with its inevitable ability to get things wrong refers to the location of the station as ' West Challow' whereas in fact it is 'Challow Station'. 

As a matter of well nigh completely irrelevance it was the station at which my first ever train journey terminated, I was travelling in a carry cot (and I would imagine most of the engines and stock involved in working the three trains on which I had travelled that day were probably still in GWR livery).  But in later years my dad and  I occasionally walked the couple of miles from West Challow to go train spotting there.

585475_Challowstation.jpg.7d7a32ddbde258aafe170fffe936896b.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Carstairs Junction, 

One of my work colleagues was from Carstairs, and became most indignant if anyone thought he was from the Village instead of the Junction !

• Like 1
  • Funny 1