K2 61756

CUTLER2579

I always believed that K2 61756 was transferred to 34A Kings Cross Top Shed from 40E Colwick on the 29th January 1961 as a working locomotive in the sense it was used to pull trains.
However a very knowledgeable friend tells me it was just a Stationary Boiler for the duration of its time there until 22nd June 1962.
Does anyone know what is the right answer to it's time at the Cross.

Good Morning Guys, yes I have checked and got the information in my post and Gordon's,but neither confirm what 61756 was actually doing at the Cross. Gilbert (Peterborough North) tells me it was used as a Stationary Boiler during it's time there. I am sure I have seen a photograph of it heading a Cambridge Service  north of Kings Cross,but like so many things,I can't remember where :diablo_mini:

Hi,

The Motive Power Miscellany/Eastern Region/GN Line section of Trains Illustrated April 1961 notes 61756 on Kings X shed on 5th February. At the end of the same section of TI in August 1962 it is noted that the last K2 61756 has ended its career as a stationary boiler at Kings Cross shed.

• Thanks 1

Keith,

that's excellent thanks for that information It more or less confirms what Gilbert thought and also supports the view I had that I had seen a photograph of it on a Cambridge train with a 34A shedplate. That means my 7 mm Model can keep it's 34A plate rather than gaining a 40E Colwick one.

Hi again,

There is a photo of 61756 in July 1962 at Doncaster, after withdrawal, on Rail-Online

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p454466722

The loco looks complete without the extra pipes that stationary boilers usually have.

The shed plate could be 34A - it doesn't look like 40E.

If the loco did any work before becoming a stationary boiler this may be recorded in the RCTS Railway Observer as I should have thought it would have been an unusual event worthy of reporting. Maybe somebody with copies of this period could check.

Stationary boilers didn't always carry extra pipework. Some sheds were instructed to remove the vacuum bags and pipes and the couplings from engines used as stationary boilers because, in times of shortage, running foremen were not above requisitioning them to work traffic.

There is a photo somewhere of a run-away dmu (I'm relying on memory here as I can't find it)  which went through the stop blocks, boundary wall and across the street. The diesel sent to recover it was singularly unsuccessful. The local shed sent its stationary boiler, possibly a B1, which hooked up and drew the escapee back on to railway property.