Meldon Quarry Steamers, water supply?

AdeMoore

• RMweb Premium

Wonder if you folks can help again after much success with the ballast wagon topic.

I have a fair load of Meldon Photos saved from various internet sources one thing I can’t see is a water tower or the like to service the USA Tank or the G6 or whatever was in service there.

Must of had something there?
Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Just some volumes I have covering the area for my general interest in that patch. In one, The Okehampton Line (Irwell Press) it says that when the small block built shed at the Quarry was built around 1937 water supply was included, most likely inside the shed as there is no sign of a Crane outside at all. Coal was presumably justhand shovelled from a truck or maybe a loader (lie a JCB) was used? Before the Quarry Shed was built, the Meldon Engine was serviced at Okehampton Shed that had been upgraded to include that purpose and to accommodate the larger engines being used in the area.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

IIRC there was a large elevated concrete water tank within the works complex, between the running lines and the sidings within the works (and orthogonal to them) and rather closer to Okehampton than to the viaduct. That would have served all the water outlets in the area, and it would certainly have made sense to locate the loco supply within the loco shed where it could be easily protected from freezing up. Meldon Quarry was located in quite an inhospitable location high up on the northern fringes of Dartmoor.

I have tried to check the location but have had problems getting onto the Oldmaps website today.

Edited by bécasse
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Just some volumes I have covering the area for my general interest in that patch. In one, The Okehampton Line (Irwell Press) it says that when the small block built shed at the Quarry was built around 1937 water supply was included, most likely inside the shed as there is no sign of a Crane outside at all. Coal was presumably justhand shovelled from a truck or maybe a loader (lie a JCB) was used? Before the Quarry Shed was built, the Meldon Engine was serviced at Okehampton Shed that had been upgraded to include that purpose and to accommodate the larger engines being used in the area.

Phil

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

IIRC there was a large elevated concrete water tank within the works complex, between the running lines and the sidings within the works (and orthogonal to them) and rather closer to Okehampton than to the viaduct. That would have served all the water outlets in the area, and it would certainly have made sense to locate the loco supply within the loco shed where it could be easily protected from freezing up. Meldon Quarry was located in quite an inhospitable location high up on the northern fringes of Dartmoor.

I have tried to check the location but have had problems getting onto the Oldmaps website today.

Cheers both interesting stuff.

I hadn’t even thought of coal Phil! I’ll have to study my photos on that again.

Thanks for taking the time.