Hornby TTS class 50 jerky running model.

Simon Moore

Hi all, 

I know this topic has cropped up before but not about the class 50 decoder.

I've had a good read on the forum on how to change tts CVs for jerky running & after trying various thing I cannot get the 50 to run smoothly. 

The smoothness of the loco starts once on step 7 of the controller, anything below & it shakes very badly.

Has anyone got a clear straight forward idiot proof fix?

Edited by Rhb Simon

Hi Simon,

All 3 of my Hornby 50s that I've retro fitted with TTS now run super smooth at all 128 speed steps using the following CV's:

CV3=35,  CV4=20,  CV29=34 (that turns DC running off),  CV150=1 (that's the really important one!), CV153=215,  CV154=0.

Those CVs all work really well with my NCE Powercab, (which has been upgraded to  5amps) for most Hornby and Bachmann diesels that I have fitted with TTS chips (over 20 in all).

HTH and let us know how you get on.

Edit:  And I haven't needed to remove any suppressors from any loco yet.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional information
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

42 minutes ago, Rhb Simon said:

Just done your fix & it works superbly although I've had to find a fault. 

If I change CV29 the model doesnt operate at all. Miss this change out & its superb.

Ah, great.  I'm delighted it's running well. 

CV29 changes can be made as per Hornby's instruction sheet.  The 2mm org calculator as mentioned by beejack is very useful - I have that bookmarked and always use it when setting up a new decoder.

It's always best to turn DC running off on TTS decoders as if you don't the loco can sometimes suddenly shoot off at full speed after a short circuit has occurred on the layout!

Just out of interest, what DCC system are you using please Simon?  I was always curious whether my CV settings would work well with other systems.  

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Like 1

I'm using a nce powercab boosted to 5amp with a dcc concepts alphabox. 

I set CV29 to 2 & I can still programme it with a long address. If I set it to 34 the loco is dead on the layout no ideas why but having fiddled with the model it is a superb running model. 

I'm going to see if these settings work for a railroad 31 I have with TTS sound as that's a real bag of bolts.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rhb Simon said:

I'm using a nce powercab boosted to 5amp with a dcc concepts alphabox. 

I set CV29 to 2 & I can still programme it with a long address. If I set it to 34 the loco is dead on the layout no ideas why but having fiddled with the model it is a superb running model. 

I'm going to see if these settings work for a railroad 31 I have with TTS sound as that's a real bag of bolts.

That's very strange about CV29 SImon.  I never had problems with CV29 before.  Maybe do a decoder reset CV8=8 and try and do CV29 again.  You'll also have to change those other CVs again of course.

I believe the Railroad 31 is a different animal and has a single power bogie and different motor, so you'll have to play about with the CVs. But generally those CVs you changed for the super detailed loco will be the same ones you'll need to change for the Railroad loco albeit probably with different values.

It's all trial and error with TTS decoders but superb running can be achieved eventually.  Certainly worth the effort when you consider the price. 

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, I've just found this thread, so apologies for late arrival. 

I have found that TTS decoders when CV29 is changed to 34 'forget' who they are with long addresses and so do nothing. The address then has to be reprogrammed in and all is fine.

Cheers,

Phil B.

15 hours ago, Wilton 34041 said:

I have found that TTS decoders when CV29 is changed to 34 'forget' who they are with long addresses and so do nothing. The address then has to be reprogrammed in and all is fine.

Cheers,

Phil B.

15 hours ago, Wilton 34041 said:

Cheers,

Phil B.

Simply switch CV29 back to long addressing and it will read CVs 17/18, translate them into a long address and use that. You can check this by reading CVs 17/18 and using an on line convertor to find the long address.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom D said:

I have been looking for a class 50 TTS decoder, but there does not seem to be any available anywhere. Has Hornby stopped producing them?

The global IC and component shortage has curtailed production. When that improves there will be spare chips etc for hobby products

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2022 at 15:01, RAF96 said:

Simply switch CV29 back to long addressing and it will read CVs 17/18, translate them into a long address and use that. You can check this by reading CVs 17/18 and using an on line convertor to find the long address.

As above.

Please be careful with CV29 because it does several things, so you can change other settings if you are not careful.

If your system supports it, read it first before changing.

The 2mm org's calculator has been mentioned above & is helpful. It can easily be found by googling "CV29 calculator".

Setting CV29 to 34 will achieve the following:

Forward direction, 128 speed steps, DC off, Railcom off, Simple Speed curve, Long loco address.

If you don't want this combination of features, then 34 will be wrong for you.

• Agree 1