Help can you Identify this early locomotive

Londontram

I'm on a local Norfolk community web site for old railways which turns up some splendid pictures.

This one is Great Yarmouth South town station (one of three in the town) the poster has asked if any one can identify the type of loco, 

Other than it looks like a 2-4-0 I've no idear anyone else have a clue?

The original poster thinks it's about 1870 but i think it could have ten years on that. The station originally opened in 1859 for the East Suffolk Railway. Going on to the Great Eastern Railway before the grouping

Thanks Steve

20200405_122531.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photo
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Likewise I can't answer the question - but what a fantastic photo. The guard (station master?) didn't quite manage to hold still long enough which just adds to the charm. Interesting coupling chain on the loco - with what looks like a more modern screw link coupling on the floor by the gentleman.

I think it may be a 2-4-2 as the cab extends past the second pair of driving wheels?

Edited by Bucoops

That, plus two other photos taken at the same time, appear in the book "The Yarmouth Train" by Malcolm White.

The caption in there says it is 2-4-0 No.73.  There is a full side on view out in the open (with a windmill in the background) in that publication as well.

Looking at East Anglias First Railways (Moffat), the windmill picture is in there as well, and it confirms it as an Eastern Counties Railway long-boiler 2-4-0 dating from 1847.

It was scrapped in 1869!

Edited by Johann Marsbar
extra info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

To amplify the correct identification, the loco is one of a batch of seven built for the Eastern Counties Railway by Robert Stephenson & Co., in 1847.  They were originally numbered 71 - 77, with makers numbers 660 - 666 (663, 662, 661, 660, 664, 665 and 666 respectively).

The photo shows a locomotive in Great Eastern Railway ownership, as later modified by Sinclair, with a cab weatherboard and sprung buffers.  It retains (its original?) flared chimney.

Cracking photo!

Edited by EddieB
Correction of works number sequence.
  • Like 3