Spotting days mid 80's to early 90's has now been PRIVATISED

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic photos "slg", thanks for sharing. Like "Dave Fs" thread, a wonderful historical record of how the railways were not too long ago.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

As ever loving your photos slg. Funny to see the Scotrail 47 at Clapham Junction, that must have been a rare sighting. Then of course we would have never dreamed of ever seeing 73's in regular service in Scotland. 

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2020 at 19:34, flapland said:

As ever loving your photos slg. Funny to see the Scotrail 47 at Clapham Junction, that must have been a rare sighting. Then of course we would have never dreamed of ever seeing 73's in regular service in Scotland. 

47704 looks like it has lost its name so this is October 1991 at the earliest (according to Class 

47.co.uk).  By this time 47704 had already had a couple of months from OC on Thames services (although there's another shot of 47704 on a Waterloo-Exeter at CJ during that period) and would I think have been a Crewe parcels loco by this point. It was ca.1991 that a number of 47/7s started replacing the 50s on the West of England services. I don't think 47704 was officially one of them, but I seemed to see it all over the place - looking progressively tattier.

Edit: On looking again, I'm not sure that it has lost its name in which case this is somewhere in the July-Sept 1991 timeframe.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1