signals

corsair

It depends what you are modelling. Most NG didn't use signals and if they did it was very limited. They were built to a budget and when money's tight and the line ran with one engine in steam there was no need to spend money on niceties such as signals!

However if you are modelling Preservation Era then you will find many lines now have signals, especially at the terminus stations. What type depends of their location and the needs of the line. The Welshpool for instance uses GWR style signals as it was an old GWR line, others in Wlaes use colour lights. My layout is based in the Modern Era but doesn't have any signals as the prototype uses radio transmissions to control train movements.

As always when modelling, select your location, select your era, and then do your research!

• RMweb Gold

I suspect it's a safe bet that the OP is thinking of OO-9, for which increasing numbers of UK-prototype products are available, as is track. And over recent decades any number of bijou layouts have used this scale to provide what Freezer termed rabbit-warren designs, in spaces aligned to modern compact dwellings. But signals remain, as has been said, largely unnecessary. A token might be carried by the driver, that's all. 

The NWNGR was fully signalled when built in the 1870s. Later signals fell out of use when it was basically down to 'one engine in steam'. A purely industrial line would probably have no lineside signals at all. A line built under one of the Tramway Acts would be different to one built under the 1896 Light Railway Act and so on. A modern tourist line is much more likely to have signals than something on its last legs set in the 1920s. We really need to know a little more about the proposed layout to give sound advice.

As for what is available RTP, the Dapol N Gauge GWR signals are probably sufficiently chunky to pass muster, perhaps fitted with slightly bigger arms. The FR has used colour light signals and their latest semaphores have LEDs that are able to give a green light even when the single red lens is in the off position (the original 1880s ones would have shown a white 'clear' light in that position).

2 hours ago, Drawed said:

An exception.

Which is why I said "most"! As usual there's a prototype for everything. ;)

Also why I said to look at the prototype of the type of line the OP intends to model. Lots of preserved lines use them but only a few pre preservation era and even then they had limited use. 

Many ex standard gauge modellers make their 009 layout look like a "mini me" version. If it's a preservation era layout then it's quite acceptable but before that it's much rarer. 

As usual doing your research before starting will give you the information you need. 

Edited by Hobby

To put in context the Southwold wasn't the typical British industrial narrow gauge line. We had very few common carrier lines, most light railways were built to standard gauge unlike much of mainland Europe where secondary lines were often narrow Gauge. The L&B  I think also had some signalling.

Some like the Welshpool had ground frames with interlocking at the various stations and sidings but no signals. 

I'd be interested to know what sort of line the OP is planning to model. 

I really wish people wouldn't say that all the time. It's used as an excuse far too many times when someone has done something which ruins a good model and has to come up with an excuse when there isn't one. Signals are sometimes used on NG but compared with SG they are usually used sparingly, an 009 layout with more signals than Clapham Junction would look ruddy stupid, that's all that needs to be said!

Edited by Hobby