RIP tracks and TWDs, in the UK?

Hi chaps,

I was watching this video with interest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AbI7KMP9Y

It's US focused obviously, but does the UK run a similar system - or did it in the late 80's?

RIP track - repair in place
TWD - trackside warning device

The video creator adds a nice piece of randomisation and interest to his freight operations by pulling a TWD card, some will have a warning, which requires that wagon/car be removed from the rake and repaired. The rest of the train continues onwards.

Edited by Ted-ish
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ted-ish said:

Hi chaps,

I was watching this video with interest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AbI7KMP9Y

It's US focused obviously, but does the UK run a similar system - or did it in the late 80's?

RIP track - repair in place
TWD - trackside warning device

The video creator adds a nice piece of randomisation and interest to his freight operations by pulling a TWD card, some will have a warning, which requires that wagon/car be removed from the rake and repaired. The rest of the train continues onwards.

In the 1980s, and still today , there were hot axlebox detectors. Setting one of these off requires an inspection by train crew and potentially cutting a defective vehicle out of the train. How accurate they were is arguable. I was travelling on a passenger train halted by signals linked to a hotbox detector. The message from the detector was "hot box on axle 63". The crew, and Control, were somewhat bewildered as the train only had 56 axles, including the loco.

The equivalent of RIP tracks have always existed for freight vehicles, indeed the US railroads must have got the idea from the UK in the first place, along with the idea of railroads! However, today the volume of freight traffic is much lower and there are fewer repair locations, quite often defective vehicles are taken from wherever they are lying to the nearest point with road access for maintenance crews at very slow speed, sometimes using wheelskates if bearings have failed. Bear in mind almost all UK rail freight is block trains, the concept of yards is almost gone now.

• Like 1

1990s HABDs seemed to be very good at spotting Class 153 exhaust pipes and HST restaurant cars. Although they existed prior to that on (mostly) powerbox routes, most 1980s TWDs consisted of a signalman looking out of the window and sending 'stop and examine' to the next box. At that date there were still plenty of sidings dotted about where cripples or demics could be detached and left for either Carriage & Wagon staff or fitters as appropriate. Not just freight, with no central door locking at that date a common reason for 'stop and examine' was a door open or on the catch on a passenger train. 

Agreed, a pile of "Chance" cards adds to any operating session !

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2

In late BR steam operation there was a weekly path for collection of failed coaches for repair, running KX-Doncaster, and I imagine similar must have been in place all over the network. A very interesting ECS assemblage could sometimes be seen.

8 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

...a pile of "Chance" cards adds to any operating session !

The best aspect of which is that you can choose to obey only the ones that really appeal, dependent on operator mood...

• Like 2

During the Great DMU Famine of 1987/88 there was a similar working, one Sheffield/Leeds return trip was scheduled to miss the Castleford reverse and go direct via Altofts so it could be 31 hauled and collect demic 101s and 110s along the way. 

• Like 1

As well as HABDs there is the Wheelchex (or Wheel Impact Load Detector) system, consisting of strain gauges in the rail and designed to detect wheel flats, the most extreme of which can cause serious damage to the track.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

As well as HABDs there is the Wheelchex (or Wheel Impact Load Detector) system, consisting of strain gauges in the rail and designed to detect wheel flats, the most extreme of which can cause serious damage to the track.

It will also pick up anomalies such as wheels out of round. It will also pick up things that aren't there, have had to examine numerous vehicles with no tread damage or wheels out of round. It has also know to give wildly exaggerate readings for the smallest amount of tread damage that only just visible and not audible from inside the vehicle.

Edited by 45125

37 minutes ago, 45125 said:

It will also pick up anomalies such as wheels out of round. It will also pick up things that aren't there, have had to examine numerous vehicles with no tread damage or wheels out of round. It has also know to give wildly exaggerate readings for the smallest amount of tread damage that only just visible and not audible from inside the vehicle.

It could be that the vehicle is unevenly loaded, which you would necessarily see, or be aware of, unless the vehicle derailed.

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

It could be that the vehicle is unevenly loaded, which you would necessarily see, or be aware of, unless the vehicle derailed.

There are several reports on the RAIB site of derailments where uneven loading or wagon frames out of true have led to wheel unloading, and they often quote the readings where the train recently passed a wheel impact load detector, especially as the derailment itself often destroys the evidence.  I'm not sure if Wheelchex is still on the network, as I believe it has been superseded by something called "Gotcha".  

4 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

There are several reports on the RAIB site of derailments where uneven loading or wagon frames out of true have led to wheel unloading, and they often quote the readings where the train recently passed a wheel impact load detector, especially as the derailment itself often destroys the evidence.  I'm not sure if Wheelchex is still on the network, as I believe it has been superseded by something called "Gotcha".  

The wagon problems were one factor; excessive twist on the track exacerbated it. My wife tells me that 'Gotcha' is the current system, though I'm not sure if it's replaced Wheelchex, or is addition to it.