Barclay 0-4-0DH No.472 @ Summerlee Heritage Museum

FoolInjection

Does anyone have any more information on the Barclay 0-4-0DH No.472 which is "Preserved" at Summerlee Heritage Museum?

I'm trying to find out who owned and operated it before it ended up there.  I know the origins of the other locomotives at the museum, including some photographs of them "in the day", but can't seem to find anything on this one.

The earliest photo I can seem to find of it is from Dave F's photos post here in RMWeb :- https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-each-day/&do=findComment&comment=3697787

Coatbridge Summerlee Heritage Trust Barclay 24th April 92 C16808.jpg

I'm assuming this is it's original livery?  In it's current condition it's been painted (well, what's left of it anyway) entirely in red oxide primer as seen here :- https://flic.kr/p/28sWywE

Does anyone else have any photos of this loco?

Any information is appreciated.

Information I have (from various books and newsletters published by the Industrial Railway Society) is that it was built by Andrew Barclay in 1961, staying on site at their Caledonia Works in Kilmarnock.  During 1964 it was loaned out to Singer Manufacturing, Kilbowie (Clydebank), for an unknown period, but returned to Andrew Barclay in the same year.

In around November 1970 it was sold to Crane Ltd, Ipswich (Suffolk) where it is listed as carrying the number 2589.  It was returned to Andrew Barclay in March 1976, and then re-sold shortly afterward to Norbrit-Pickering Ltd, Wishaw (Strathclyde), becoming their No. 5. 

By 1987 it was still in Wishaw, at Allis-Chalmers (not sure, but presumably having taken over the previous owner), listed with numbers "No. 5", 2589 and "W 280" in the IRS Handbook (7EL).  Thereafter, I have Allis-Chalmers closing and the locomotive going to Summerlee (Monkland District Council, as it then was)  in a handbook update dated July 1988.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, EddieB said:

Information I have (from various books and newsletters published by the Industrial Railway Society) is that it was built by Andrew Barclay in 1961, staying on site at their Caledonia Works in Kilmarnock.  During 1964 it was loaned out to Singer Manufacturing, Kilbowie (Clydebank), for an unknown period, but returned to Andrew Barclay in the same year.

In around November 1970 it was sold to Crane Ltd, Ipswich (Suffolk) where it is listed as carrying the number 2589.  It was returned to Andrew Barclay in March 1976, and then re-sold shortly afterward to Norbrit-Pickering Ltd, Wishaw (Strathclyde), becoming their No. 5. 

By 1987 it was still in Wishaw, at Allis-Chalmers (not sure, but presumably having taken over the previous owner), listed with numbers "No. 5", 2589 and "W 280" in the IRS Handbook (7EL).  Thereafter, I have Allis-Chalmers closing and the locomotive going to Summerlee (Monkland District Council, as it then was)  in a handbook update dated July 1988.

That's fantastic information.  Thank you very much.

I knew it wouldn't have travelled from very far away to its current location in Summerlee.  The other industrial engines on site are all pretty local as well.

• Thanks 1

After doing a bit of digging using that information EddieB supplied I found pictures of the No.4 loco at R.Y. Pickering in Wishaw.  (See Below)

Judging by the stylised No. 4 on the side of the loco, I can only assume then that the paint on the loco in the first post of mine is most likely the paint as it was when it was in use.  Would you agree?

spacer.png

I've yet to find a picture of the loco in service at Wishaw however.

• Like 2

Got the following reply from the curator at the museum, which confirms what has been said above.

"I don’t have a lot of info to hand but that locomotive was used by RY Pickering. I guess they had a lot of need for shunters! It was built in 1961 and came to Summerlee from Allis Chambers GB works in Wishaw (I wonder if they took over all or part of Pickering’s works?"

• 2 years later...