Dapol 14xx Reborn For The NCB

Please don't hate me Swindonites. 

A Dapol 14xx will be converted to an NCB shunter for use on my NCB layouts. 

In short I model a colliery and love the 14xx/48xx: the shape, the strange for the UK wheel arrangement and how they look weather and work beaten. This paired with the fact I fancy a detailing project led to this purchase. 

DSC_0738.JPG.e91b370a4ccce3fb5a5a922c3885d9b9.JPG

A Dapol model that appears to have had a brush or two with orange paint or something and is missing the safety valve. However it does run relativity well!

So the plan:

-Detail with new handrails and smokebox door dart

-Replace the safety valve (any ideas where from?)

-Renumber it with etched numberplates

-Repaint (maroon with yellow bufferbeams and rods)

-DCC chipping

-Cutting the chassis about so daylight is visible beneath the boiler

-Replacing the traction tired wheels with none traction tired (I would prefer smooth running over high pulling power)

-Probably some other bits I haven't thought of yet

*I also know representing a none auto gear fitted loco would be more prototypical, but I like the idea of a 14xx being sold off to industry. Maybe being used on a light railways auto coach workings before being sold to the colliery? A fictional history will come eventually explaining how the loco arrived at the colliery. So I guess that's something to look forward too?

Would love some input!

Thanks 

Olly

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 23/04/2020 at 01:50, OliverRowley said:

Please don't hate me Swindonites. 

A Dapol 14xx will be converted to an NCB shunter for use on my NCB layouts. 

In short I model a colliery and love the 14xx/48xx: the shape, the strange for the UK wheel arrangement and how they look weather and work beaten. This paired with the fact I fancy a detailing project led to this purchase. 

DSC_0738.JPG.e91b370a4ccce3fb5a5a922c3885d9b9.JPG

A Dapol model that appears to have had a brush or two with orange paint or something and is missing the safety valve. However it does run relativity well!

So the plan:

-Detail with new handrails and smokebox door dart

-Replace the safety valve (any ideas where from?)

-Renumber it with etched numberplates

-Repaint (maroon with yellow bufferbeams and rods)

-DCC chipping

-Cutting the chassis about so daylight is visible beneath the boiler

-Replacing the traction tired wheels with none traction tired (I would prefer smooth running over high pulling power)

-Probably some other bits I haven't thought of yet

*I also know representing a none auto gear fitted loco would be more prototypical, but I like the idea of a 14xx being sold off to industry. Maybe being used on a light railways auto coach workings before being sold to the colliery? A fictional history will come eventually explaining how the loco arrived at the colliery. So I guess that's something to look forward too?

Would love some input!

Thanks 

Olly

Re the safety valve, I searched and they are available from Wizard, and possibly Brassmasters, but I don't know how accurate they might be.  Also I didn't want to wait . So I decided to turn  one up on my lathe. It took me ages to get the shape right . I had to grind a form tool to do it, but I was pleased with the result, and made one for my Bachmann pannier too.  Both models look much improved.  Wheels I found on ebay . I was going to use some Romfords  that I already had, but spotted some Mike Sharman wheels and bid for them and won.  The chimney I made ages ago.  Smoke box door etc I made too . All from brass..  I have the original safety valve in good condition if you would like it. It was loose and fell off, which is partly the reason I  made a brass one.  It's here if you want it . I can stick it in the post for you. Don't want anything for it.  If you want a set of Romford wheels too I have  those here too. I will want a bit of dosh for those though.  say £20

Rob

Rob

• Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 15:11, Captain Kernow said:

A very interesting idea!

I've no qualms about converting former main line company locos for industrial use, as long as they are former LNER locos.

Whats wrong with GWR locomotives in industrial use two Barry Railways ‘F’ class made it to Ashington Colliery and the Rising Sun had an ex GWR pannier!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

It's been a while! Thanks for the input, I put this project on the backburner as after fitting handrails and painted into into blue I lost interest. However, it's currently drying (very slowly) with a new coat of paint. I shall resurrect this thread!

Hopefully I'll be able tot source my parts, thanks for the offer- but I'll try to find some on my end.

PS I'm not wading into the LNER debate

Cheers again 

Olly

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2020 at 14:40, Harveyc said:

I'm sure you have settled on your idea but it might be worth while considering an Armstrong 517 class. 3D printed body they were the predecessors of the 14xx/48xx

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5PQGP9VS2/gwr-517-body-open-cab-round-firebox

says here you can find a safety valve (cover) from springside.

It's not a good model, I got one and the print is not good quality. I had thought that the flat faces on the cylinders and round objects was a trick of the render, but it really is that bad. I don't think the designer ever printed one themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

It's not a good model, I got one and the print is not good quality. I had thought that the flat faces on the cylinders and round objects was a trick of the render, but it really is that bad. I don't think the designer ever printed one themselves.

That's a common criticism of shapeways products no?

Not heard that kinda complaint about them new railway mania kits.

Edited by OliverRowley

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, OliverRowley said:

That's a common criticism of shapeways products no?

Not heard that kinda complaint about them new railway mania kits.

Haha, I think it's because of a bug in sketchup where the preview shows a perfect sphere, but the actual model has far fewer facets. So people think what they are designing is ok, and then when it prints with a hexagonal dome they go 'oh well that must be the limitations of 3D printing'. TrantonModelRailway was having the same issue with their home printer but it's down to the design software being incorrectly set up rather than a problem with Shapeways as such. The issue being that Shapeways effectively encourage sellers to get their customers to do their R&D for them at the customers' expense.

I agree with Corbs, that 517 is a bad model in my opinion. Shapeways models like that 517 suggest that the person building the model was inexperienced with modelling software, or perhaps more specifically, modelling for 3D printing.

The cylinder on the left is 'low poly' like the 517. The cylinder on the right is 'high poly.'

cylinders.jpg.f54016b9dcabe9b9389c06fb755b2137.jpg

Below is a funnel I made; this is how a model should be made with regards to polygons (numbers of faces/sides):

edged_faces_funnel.jpg.61535ac5ed42f2a7e5f084debef5d2d4.jpg

All the best,

Jack

• Like 2