GWR locos - shed history

I have recently bought one of the new Dapol 0.4.2 tanks, number 4811.

I’m interested in the history of the loco but haven’t been able to get very far.  My usual sources, BR loco database and Rail Online, don’t go back to the 1930s.

So, my question is, how does one track the shed allocation history of a given GW loco?

I have heard of Peto’s Register but have never seen volume 3 - which covers this group of locos.

Is the layout of Peto similar to Yeadons LNER Register?

would I get the information on 4811 from volume six of the RCTS books?

Or am I missing something obvious and need to be educated!

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Adrian

PS I apologise if this request has been posted previously

Try the Great Western Archive, 

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_042.htm

Go to the bottom of the page and click on "details". It'll show a basic allocation list. I have a feeling it spent most of it's early life in North Wales. I've got one with the same number somewhere.

Number     Built         First               31 Dec 1947           August 1950       Last         Withdrawn

1411         03/1933    Birkenhead   Croes Newydd      Banbury              Slough     10/1956

Petos Guides are excellent. Pity there were only three. A bit like Yeadon's I suppose.

If you buy the RCTS book just for 14XXs then you may be disappointed. I don't think there are any allocations. It also doesn't help that issue was published in the 1950s. They are only mentioned in passing (about five pages ISTR). That edition is mostly full of information on ancient GWR 0-4-2, 2-4-0 and 2-4-2 tanks. If you are a genuine fan of GWR locomotives then they are invaluable, but I would probably point others elsewhere. Especially with some of the extortionate prices some of them go for. None of them are worth more than about a tenner IMHO. Certainly don't pay £50 for a copy. Just keep searching, heritage railways and model railway exhibitions are normally a good source. The RCTS stalls sometimes have a few copies donated by members.

There was a good article in GWJ about them. Which I think did have allocations. I'll have a look for which issue. I know it was one of the early issues.

Jason

• Agree 1

Found them.

Great Western Journal issues 22 and 23.

22 48XX Auto Engines Part One: The use, duties and allocation of these 0-4-2T locomotives during the GW era. Includes the General Arrangement drawing.

23 48XX Auto Engines Part Two: Duties and allocations of these locomotives, now renumbered to the 14xx series, during BR days. Includes a set of detail photos.

Jason

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Where the records still exist,  they are held at NRM York and can be consultedfit free.  

Guess they are shut at the moment though 

Closed, assumingly for months.

But the details are in print and buying the books would still work out cheaper than buying a train ticket to the LNER museum/gift shop/cafe.

:P

If I can find the Peto book I'll post the details.

Jason

• Agree 1

GWR Locomotive Allocations published by David and Charles gives the same information re allocation of 4811. I don't know if it's still in print, I picked up my mint condition second hand copy a good while back for the princely sum of £1.50!

• Agree 1