Matt varnish suitable for an airbrush

9 hours ago, JimFin said:

Interesting - 70.520 is the 17ml dropper bottle and 26.518 the 60ml squirt bottle. As far as I was aware - contents were the same. Wonder if the larger bottle has settled out more than the dropper bottle or something.

You are right, I must have already gotten rid of the one I didn't like. I definitely used one up in ballasting, because it was impossible to spray!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2020 at 11:53, gordon s said:

Something just occurred to me... Wagons and vans aren't an issue, but how to you handle coaches? I haven't done any yet, but suspect most of the weathering is below the window line and the roof. Using a matt or satin varnish, do you have to mask the windows?

I can't imagine a matt window with no reflection at all as even dirty windows have clean patches where the glass reflects. 

In similar vein, I have renumbered a dozen or so coaches and am considering matt varnishing the sides to seal the (Railtech) transfers and, I hope, cover up a few scratches made in the original varnish when foolishly removing old numbers with a fibreglass pencil. The coaches have mostly clean sides with dirty chassis and roofs and I am minded to mask the window area before varnishing and simply varnish the lower area of the coach. Does anyone have any advice or guidance with this approach.  

• RMweb Premium

This is how I varnished some coaches....

85E39768-E72A-4BFC-83CE-177DDA64EDDE.jpeg.da80d31c94be93bf281346ac7260e09b.jpeg

Cardboard squares over the windows (held in place with blutac) and cardboard between the wheels and bogie frames.  They are G scale though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1