Kidderminster Goods Shed - go big or go home

After my station based on Kidderminster SVR I am addicted to Scalescenes! I love the fact that you get all the arches and decorations that really enhance a building. 

A discussion about parcel handling let to a pic of Kidderminster goods shed, now in use as the SVR C&W workshop. I was looking for a large urban goods shed so this was ideal 

7FEC3470-42DE-4E16-9EF0-5C7882CA1162.jpeg.263e7b4689152e9e3cd71d73b376af93.jpeg

(photo from geography.org with permission to reuse)

I used Google Maps to estimate the size - I didn’t realise how big it was. It’s almost 250ft or 50cm in N. That’s considerably more than a printed A4 brickwork sheet. So it’s scaled down a bit. Finding photos of the rail side was really hard so it’s a bit estimated. 

Its my now usual method of construction - brickwork printed onto Matt photographic paper, layered for the arches etc and mounted on foam board. So far I’ve made all four walls and starting on the windows. This is testing my sanity so doing a few at a time

BC859719-FB19-4000-9F28-9C4A0005D0E0.jpeg.c0786339430bf3ee95cd11f56d698982.jpeg

The yard side - with the first windows fitted

AD25B346-05C9-4528-A952-E56B455AA0D7.jpeg.91986b051fb59accdb66692b49c4f434.jpeg

The rail side which shoes the scale of this!

The thing I love about this is it’s all made from stuff I have at home so needs no special equipment. Work as an ITU dr has been rather hectic recently so a few minutes on these when I get home is a great antidote. Almost mindfulness! 

• Like 5

Having assembled the four sides and a platform two things occur to me...

Firstly it’s massive! Far bigger than I imagined, but I think it’ll have that urban ‘presence’ 

Secondly with the number of windows and large door openings the interior is too clearly obvious, even if painted black. So I need to fit brick interior walls, if only roughly

EE529FFD-4A2D-4885-936D-52949BABF7F2.jpeg.eab8dfe249d28a6e7459eab25fa0808e.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, TomJ said:

Having assembled the four sides and a platform two things occur to me...

Firstly it’s massive! Far bigger than I imagined, but I think it’ll have that urban ‘presence’ 

Secondly with the number of windows and large door openings the interior is too clearly obvious, even if painted black. So I need to fit brick interior walls, if only roughly

EE529FFD-4A2D-4885-936D-52949BABF7F2.jpeg.eab8dfe249d28a6e7459eab25fa0808e.jpeg

It is which is why it is so good for our carriage works.

• Agree 2

I can imagine it’s a superb carriage works. Can’t wait to visit again when we are allowed. I didn’t quite realise the scale till I measured it up on google maps. It seemed to be about 250ft

14 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

It is which is why it is so good for our carriage works.

Thabks for the comment. I’m assuming you’re involved with the SVR. Perhaps you might be able to answer a couple of questions about it. 

There seem to be two wooden lifts on the yard side, one huge and one derelict. Are they both original or is the large one a SVR addition?

Also are the end doors original or recent? Are they rollers or slide doors. Or do they swing open - inwards or outwards?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

i am but a newcomer having started in 1988

The lifts were original from its time as a goods warehouse. 

In terms of the doors they would originally have been sliding ones. Its not something I have really looked at as when going into the exchange I am more focused on not getting a spad as it is connected to the mainline signalling. Not sure when I will next get to Kidder, but it may be some time.

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2020 at 14:39, Phil Bullock said:

Just curious...

The first image shows the rail entrance well. The double arches over a steel girder looks rather odd. Would the steel girder be a later addition to all two tracks to enter?

Also, how was the second track (nearer in that photo) accessed by workers inside?