LMS 40t Bogie Brake Van

Miserable

Does anyone know the history of these? Apart from existing, and likely surviving into BR days that's all I can find out about them, even Paul Bartlett's site can't help! I came across a kit got to wondering if they were related to the WWII nightly Garrat-hauled '1000' ton coal trains.

• RMweb Premium

There were three of them, built Newton Heath 1930, to replace two ex LNWR vans on the Copley Hill to Armley line, and were marked as such.  Numbers were 284723-25. There is a drawing and a couple of pictures in 'An illustrated history of LMS wagons Volume one' Essery.  ISBN 978 1 906419 33 2 (2010 Reprint)

The book shows one withdrawn in 1966 pending scrapping.  I don't know what traffic they were used on or anything about the route from Copley Hill to Armley, but it would seem they were surplus to requirement by the mid 1960's.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

While I don't know the whole history of the LMS 40T brake vans, you need to know that at least one survived beyond the Copley Hill service in BR days.

There is a photograph of one in E S Tonks books on Ironstone railways and this is branded for use on the branch.  There is a good reason for this as ironstone loads are quite heavy and this branch has some fierce gradients of 1:50, so a lot of brake force would be needed in any emergency.  Other photographs have been published in Bylines on the Eaton branch/Wycomb Junction/ Waltham branch that also shows the brake van there.  See Vol. IX of Tonks on Leicestershire, page 46 dated 28th March 1956 by JR Bonser

I figured that the body of this brake van can be made from two Parkside/Peco 20T MR/LMS brake vans, though the bogies look predominantely LNWR inspired I have never found anyone who makes a full kit for them in 4mm scale.

Wonkychops

• Like 1