3 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Hi Les, I'll be interested in how you get on with flattening out the Hobbytrain panto heads.  It's something that's been concerning me, although as Königshafen is not currently set up I've not yet been able to test more recent purchases under the wires.

I saw your earlier mentions of problems with single arm panto heads catching, I find the trick is to give the top of the arms a very slight forward/downward bend so that the head doesn't catch when running with the elbow to the rear.   Just enough bend so that the head sits level rather than trying to tip backward.

Nick 

Hello.  I tried that and no joy.  

I did try running the Kaisertaurus with its Lima pantograph with the elbow at the rear.  this pan is attached with epoxy as the hole for the screw comes down in the middle of the cab and can't be got at from below without removing the cab fittings.  The force generated on the base of the pantograph running this way was enough to lift the base off the roof of the loco.

This vid shows the Einstein Taurus with one of its inner pans given the copper wire treatment.

Hope this helps.  I'll document the next one I do, which might not be until Thursday as I've just upended the Plastic Weld onto the workbench and the next two days will be spent emptying the desk to turn the cutting mat round - I've totalled the front half of the mat but no other damage apart from the laptop mouse, which might not be a write off.  Just a long job to get a useable surface to work on.

The joys of being ham fisted...

Les

Posted (edited)

As threatened promised, the step-by-step fitting of a wiper to a Hobbytrain Taurus.

before.jpg.dcc2edcba1ad5ea3532b31a9778627cd.jpg

A close-up of the wiper.  As can be seen, the piece that secures the wiper to the arm sticks up above the level of the wiper, and snags on the overhead.  My solution is simple but not the most elegant, largely because I'm not up to the level of accuracy needed.  My wrist wasn't co-operating all that well when I did this one.  Someone with more precision capability would have ditched one of my two wipers and made a new one- or got them right first time...

861043026_donorwires.jpg.31766ace37c051e1e6dc993a1f2ef97f.jpg

For donor wipers I've used a spare piece of Sommerfeldt catenary wire. Note the dropper on the left also protudes below the level of the wire.... 

1750022654_donorandruler.jpg.ef3999502db85d04822171f8592a0a92.jpg

I decided to use a length of about seven scale feet for the new wipers.  This may be generous but it works.

782087379_donorcut.jpg.bf3dcb975a2e1524dab3e76eab970467.jpg

Two lengths of the copper wire are cut.

161651560_donorcutandbent.jpg.7c2793cfb68aa56bfb0928806dbf8f25.jpg

Now the hamfisted bit- they are bent into the shape of the one in the top of the picture.  Craftsmen like I'm not will use a jig. I can make and use a jig and the end result will be worse than if I do it by eye.  I used both of these as the lower one still works.  The right hand end of the lower one is on the cusp of "bend it back".  On a different day I might have.

691570256_fitted2.jpg.b6b7714f15b515c2b3415aaf78601dd9.jpg

Using a cocktail stick I ran a very thin line of superglue along the upper edge of the outside wiper of the chosen pantograph.  Then having tried and failed in the past to place the copper using either tweezers or pliers I held the copper between the ends of my forefingers and placed it on the pan, removing fingers before the superglue grabbed skin in preference to copper.  I made quick minor adjustments with a pair of cocktail sticks before the glue set.  After half an hour check that the top of the pantograph still moves on its mounts.

2124304385_underwires2.jpg.038fe00fed499aae426b47eecd7627ab.jpg

The completed conversion posed under the wires an hour later.  I am leaving it overnight before running under the wires with it, and will apply a small amount of oil to the wipers before the loco is run.

Simple and inexpensive, and in the hands of someone less ham-fisted it could be quite an elegannt solution.

All for today.

Les

Afterthought- Maybe not  the most elegant but a Taurus running on Bregenbach is almost never going to be stationary in front of punters, so functionality is more important than apsolute visual perfection.

Edited by Les1952
afterthought
  • Like 1

SOME PLANNING AND SHUFFLING

I've looked again at the factory buildings I didn't use and have had a different idea about what can happen in the rest of the "station area".

The platform is too short for a regular station but as a works halt it is acceptable.  I have enough buildings left over ready for sale to more than fill the space, plus the goods shed and station (when it arrives).  In reality all there is at this site is a small commercial/light industrial complex that may or may not have started out as a farm.  In which case not having dwellings in this part of the layout wouldn't be that off-the-wall.

Pics show trying out some of the structures for size and location- nothing stuck down or set in stone.  In any case the ground level under them needs levelling up.

2016479817_factorytrial.jpg.111a3c05109721f33003e24f1d5a3cd1.jpg

General overview with all the available buildings, plus the tiny goods depot placed on the layout.  The overall effect isn't bad, and the tall one saves me trying to hide the mark on the backscene with a tree :)   One issue is that the wall in front of the platform now looks too bright.  Another issue for thought.

1376129003_easternfactorytrial.jpg.23e0ca2abac29c075b79c2fc5c7a4eb9.jpg

The Eastern end using the two single-height lean-to buildings and one of the others.  This about fills the space adequately but I'm not yet sure if this is the combination I will settle for.

891469226_westernfactorytrial.jpg.f1a7e91a7bfb0536c8627162c9e9ef75.jpg

The Western end with the rest of the buildings and the existing brewery.  This area is now too crowded so at least one structure and maybe more will have to go.  I'll sleep on it while levelling up the ground- the tall building can be seen leaning.  This one will be approximately where it is with the others (or some of them) around.  The extra building in the yard doesn't work but it does have some character so I may find it a home somewhere else along the back.

On order from Rails emporium are another Class 140 and a class 119 (or E19 as it has its Epoch III number.  I'll look at the visual differences between a 118 and a 119 before deciding how to number the latter.  I have computer number transfers for Class 118 but not Class 119.

All for now.

les

Posted (edited)

The two small lean-to buildings in the middle pic and the more red angled-roof building in the middle of the third pic have now been taken off.

The taller building that was nearest the viaduct has more character to it and I've moved it nearer the rest of the brewery.  It is now between the existing brewery and the two storey thinner building.  this now means the brewery is the whole of the area to the left of the station, but doesn't extend further.

The smaller building that was cluttering up the brewery yard is now on its own at the viaduct end.  I'll develop this area into some other small industry which would get its road access via the brewery and rail transferred via the small goods shed.  This then gives more of a transition from the clutter of the brewery to the countryside beyond.

Pics of this lot to follow.

1505110924_goodsshedplacedone.jpg.a3b8efb12df4b8d95e139402e9ccdb9b.jpg

In the mean time the nearly-finished goods shed, which will probably end up the other way round as the platform on the back is a better height match for the station platform.  I must ballast that area between the tracks.

All for tonight.  Still planting foliage and sorting out pantographs to make them functional if not really elegant.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Posted (edited)

The final version of the brewery buildings is this one- with a lot of detail to be added, and a it of repair work and smoke-and-mirrors to be done to the tall structure.

1254875870_breweryendbhs.jpg.6d3fed8a0091da6f4545e2213ad45a0c.jpg

Note the station has now been ballasted between the tracks- if I'd had any sense I'd have done that BEFORE I installed the catenary...

1125872114_stationballasted.jpg.fa8a6db78072668057955518b937dd62.jpg

A long goods train snaking up the bank past the brewery does look impressive.

1600907828_beertraintail.jpg.de6ca4fe18ba813142015c9b2f944ae0.jpg

The panels on the bank are the first part of a concrete panel fence which came as a freebie from DM Toys with the order for the 111.  It is good enough to go into place somewhere on the layout.  All I need to do is to work out where....

Also not yet recorded are another pair of secondhand arrivals from Rails emporium via eBay.

E19.jpg.212bc7004f60c181714100bcb8b3150d.jpg

The E19 being a little wider than most stock had a minor clearance issue with the tunnel at the bottom of the front bank, now resolved, and also brought down a mast in front of the brewery by getting tangled in the wires. A heath Robinson Richardson effort has been needed to strengthen the broken mast in a spot where a replacement won't go in.

565029940_f-mann140.jpg.5141921ae212e9ae2dddba26860d1e69.jpg

The other is a Fleischmann Epoch IV numbered 140, with computer number and the rain strips removed over the cab.  It behaves well on the track but for some reason has four traction tyres.  I'm hoping the wheelsets are compatable with the dead 141 as replacing one tyred pair of wheels for an untyred pair will improve the pickups.  it also has Fleischmann profi-couplings in a box for which I have no spare Rapido bits.  The solution to this will be to give it a dedicated working with a coach or truck that runs next to it as a converter.  Presently I'm using one of the Fleischmann centre-entrance coaches.

All for tonight.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...

Still making and planting pines.  can you see where they've gone?

20200830_202236.jpg.fd834e3f0c86b91365ec63273c62e29a.jpg

I got the first two in front of the viaduct tonight but it was too dark to photograph.

Les

Still plodding on with foliage round the tunnel mouths.  This is the more difficult one, the one at the right-hand end after trains pass under the girder bridge to exit to the fiddle yard.

529944819_rockfoliageeast.jpg.afd3fd315e915066d3a60844c4bb8323.jpg

When all is done the tunnel and the exit above will both be into the darkness and gloom.  That way it should be a bit less obvious that the pantographs are rapidly rising to full travel to come off the end of the overhead.

One new item of rolling stock today- the double-deck intermediate coach, together with a J94 for NO PLACE, which is waiting its chip.  No sign of the charger for my small electric drill so I still can't take the layout down to do the boxing.  Time is running short as the sale advert for Hawthorn Dene won't be that long appearing.

All for tonight.

Les

• Like 1

The layout is now split into its two boards (quite easy) and standing on its ends against the workshop wall waiting to be boxed up into its travelling crate.  All being well I'll get on with that tomorrow.

I need the floor space for Hawthorn Dene to be erected step by step so I can make a guide to putting it together and modify the electrics slightly ready for sale.  The N-Gauge Journal is due in the next couple of weeks with its sale ad so I need to be ready in case there is a rush of people wanting to buy it.

101541585_ONEND.jpg.8c79a3d017b34c0e3e492ef8905c3634.jpg

The layout ready for boxing.  It does give a decent view of the overall track plan.  I might put the two halves together electronically to make a plan I can print off and trace over for show managers.

The last addition to stock before dismantling was this double-deck composite coach.  It runs nicely enough between the 111 and the double-deck control car- the 143 was in the house- but doesn't propel round the tight curves.  Propelling push-pull trains will need to be the silberlingen.

1874937773_DDCOMPO.jpg.2a92844fc5d15af614ab5a5e24695f37.jpg

Until looking at the pic I'd not spotted the yellow class lines.  Very elegant way of doing it.

I think I've now got enough passenger stock.  I must keep telling myself that, at least until I get the layout set up again and try out a full fiddle yard.

All for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 1

Now boxed up, though I've had to strengthen inside one of the corners.  I'll do the other seven at some stage, most likely when I put the layout up again.

20200906_093740.jpg.a7c8648e5872b817a2368f674878f1d5.jpg

the strengthened corner is top right looking at it from this view.

20200906_105532.jpg.8f934f059ac928883ea19d65345a5d2e.jpg

Trestles beside the layout, and a piece of board to keep out next-door's cat when he next explores the workshop.  I could keep the door shut but he is quite good at getting cobwebs out from inaccessible places- shame he hasn't developed a taste for spiders yet...

Tomorrow Hawthorn Dene for a couple of weeks.

Les

• Like 1

typical - three days after packing the layout up the station building arrives from Osborn's....

Les