The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Different things in the sky

whart57

On 25/05/2020 at 15:14, AndrewC said:

Thanks. They are coming from north of the Thames, heading south, then turning west. More or less the exact path that many planes from LCY take. Hence my theory. Not sure then. Will have to wait for the next one then check FR24. Not likely from Biggin Hill. 

there is still a fair amount of Biggin Hill traffic - they often fly right over us - but not as much as there usually is. I have seen one or two flights of the same sort of size making a turn further north in Sidcup - Lamorbey area which would not take them over our house - but this may be due to the wind direction and approaching Biggin Hill from a different direction.  I must say I do not miss the LC flights one bit. They used to pass pretty much right over us too. Yesterday what I think was a Heathrow flight made a turn near us. I was shocked at quite how loud it was. It drowned out the Biggin Hill flight that happened by at pretty much the same time.

Its been fairly quiet around here, the path into John Lennon hasn't been used since lockdown, and I've not noticed anything higher.  We've had the Police helicopter nosing about occasionally and on Bank Holiday Monday a microlite buzzed up and back again.

Peaceful!!!

Not really much going on here in Troon, we are close to Prestwick International Airport, the most underused in the UK, normally there are a whopping 5 or 6 Ryanair flights but they are all cancelled, still the usual occasional cargo and military flights and the Coastguard helicopter making the odd sortie.  One thing there has been a lot less of is the "bumps and runs" training sessions, usually there is always somebody wanting to train their pilots on various approach and takeoff skills

Jim

The airlines are keeping the aircraft warm by short relative low level flights. I have seen a few Bristol - -Bristol Easy Jet flights on flight 24 radar which normally take off go half way up the Borders/Marches and back. Normal altitude 4,000 to 5,000 ft.  

I’ve just been informed that there is a launch tonight, 9:30pm, Elon Musk’s latest. First manned launch for them, first launch of a NASA crew by a commercial operation, they certainly believe in actions speaking louder than words. Meanwhile The Bearded One sits on his private island, whinging for public money for HIS airline...

10 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I’ve just been informed that there is a launch tonight, 9:30pm, Elon Musk’s latest. First manned launch for them, first launch of a NASA crew by a commercial operation, they certainly believe in actions speaking louder than words. Meanwhile The Bearded One sits on his private island, whinging for public money for HIS airline...

He should spend less money on developing his own satellite launching system!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52802520

Anyone near Cardiff airport may have seen the NHS liveried Airbus A340-600 flying around quite a bit this week.

The ex-Virgin Airbus appears to have been carrying out a number of training flights to/from Cardiff from its temporary base at Bournemouth airport.

These training flights have been sandwiched into a few days gap between its regular runs to and from China, bringing in PPE and other medical supplies.

54542_1590195368.jpg