Connoisseur Stanier 20T brake van

T30RRA

I built one of these and regretted not putting square bar behind the end veranda supports which should be solid and not L shape.

Great kit though and you look as if you have mastered the build

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My main observation with Connoisseur kits is the lack of underframe detail.  I always like to add the gubbins for the brake gear.  I did the NBR brake van and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I recommend these.

John

• Like 2

The square bar is a good idea. I'm not sure how bothered I am about the underframe detail but will look into what is involved.

Today I put the foot boards on. There's still an extra support bracket each end of both foot boards to fit, then its onto the axle boxes.

20200531_171223.jpg

• Like 10

I've had a look at the kit and instructions etc. a bit further on then I am with the build. Due to ballast boxes, the underneath is visually obstructed so there's little to nothing to gain by adding the brake gubbins. I will beef up the frame though so the posts are solid and not L shaped

Looks fantastic so far, I have two coach kits from Conniseur models build up and have another three to go. Out of interest what solder and flux do you use? I've started to use the CARRS products but I'm always interested in what other modellers use.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 15:06, brossard said:

My main observation with Connoisseur kits is the lack of underframe detail.  I always like to add the gubbins for the brake gear.  I did the NBR brake van and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I recommend these.

John

each to their own, i find these kits, excellent, good quality etches, with a good fit, very nice castings and usually more than you need just in case, and very well laid out instructions.

i'm not keen on wasted effort building parts you can't see, i don't see the point, but that is my preference, brake blocks, linkage etc, you can always add to suit beyond that, i suppose a more detailed kit would cost more, be more complex and put people off.. 

I can thoroughly recommend the queen mary brake van form this supplier, a very pleasant build.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, BluePioneer said:

Looks fantastic so far, I have two coach kits from Conniseur models build up and have another three to go. Out of interest what solder and flux do you use? I've started to use the CARRS products but I'm always interested in what other modellers use.

9% acid flux from Eileen's at the minute with solder (145 and low melt) from TMS on ebay. I have some low melt solder from carrs but haven't really used it yet.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, M51625 said:

i'm not keen on wasted effort building parts you can't see, i don't see the point, but that is my preference, brake blocks, linkage etc, you can always add to suit beyond that, i suppose a more detailed kit would cost more, be more complex and put people off.. 

As you say.  We all should decide on a build standard and stick to it.

I have the Slater's LMS 20T brake in my queue and will do a thread when I get to it.  Layout wiring is next on my agenda.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

Nothing major tonight. Added the remaining footboard brackets and have set the bearings in the axle boxes. 

The body is off for a soke in baking soda solution over night. I am awaiting some Birchwood Casey Super Blue for the wheels and buffers, so they will have to wait until after its arrived.

20200602_222558.jpg

Edited by T30RRA
Soda not powder! I'm not baking a cake here!
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 31/05/2020 at 14:53, pwr said:

I built one of these and regretted not putting square bar behind the end veranda supports which should be solid and not L shape.

Great kit though and you look as if you have mastered the build

Paul R

Measured for and ordered some square bar today.

I spent an hour cleaning up the model with viakal and a wire brush tonight, shiny now for the time being.

Once the blackening fluid arrives next week, progress will resume. I've got carrs but want to try the birchwood out.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pwr said:

I know that feeling - some of my nearly finsihed go back to 2014 and before

I have a Springside Prairie I started in about 1995 and only stalled over the cab rear coal bars. 

Actually come to think of it there's a Mashima motor in there I can raid! 

• Like 1