DeAgostini Model Space Locos

simonmcp

If they are like the collection we got in the UK called Great British Locomotives then it'll be mostly plastic bodies with diecast chassis.

However the wheels and bogies will probably be diecast so don't put them straight on to the track with power applied.

The GBL collection were all direct copies of Hornby, Lima and Bachmann models and some were better than others. With a little bit of work they could be motorised by putting a proper chassis underneath. I'm assuming these will also be copies of existing RTR models.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Its all bit contradictory - advert says - • Models made of metal - customer review says - They are very attractive, but they are diecast plastic, not metal - Take your pick! If metal, they will short the track but a little insulating tape on the bottom edge of the wheels would probably solve that.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JimFin said:

Its all bit contradictory - advert says - • Models made of metal - customer review says - They are very attractive, but they are diecast plastic, not metal - Take your pick! If metal, they will short the track but a little insulating tape on the bottom edge of the wheels would probably solve that.

Or put them on an insulated bit of track.

I have just tried to order one but their order form has been designed by a cockwomble. When you select your country, it wipes out the address data previously entered.

• RMweb Gold

So I went ahead and ordered one, the Ee 3/3 Nr.16318 and it was delivered in three days. I ordered it on my phone so the order form auto filled, see Joseph Pestell's comments, so had no problems getting my order to go through. It is definitely ALL plastic and has no moving parts, even the pantograph is a solid one piece moulding. It does fit on HO track. One word of warning, it is fixed to the display track by a small bolt that needs a 2mm triangular bit to unscrew it. It does not have a display case just a clear plastic wrapping similar to Bachmann etc.

The finish is pretty good with nice definition of colours, it all appears to be painted and not moulded in coloured plastic, and the number plates and other markings are all legible even those that I needed a powerful magnifying glass to read. Apparently it's assigned to Winterthur Switzerland. There are mould lines visible on the pantograph and the buffers but not too bad. All the motion below the footplate is also one solid moulding and is finished in what I would call weathered brown, there are some small imperfections, you can see where they have cut the moulding pips, on some of the wheels but nothing a bit of actual weathering wouldn't cover. The front plate that incorporates the handrails is leaning slightly forwards on my example and the top front headlight is leaning back and has some paint missing on it. But overall the finish is acceptable.

So is it worth £19.99 including postage? Well I just intend putting it at the back of a layout and it's obviously a lot cheaper than 295 Euros that Conrad want for a working Trix model of one. So overall if you aren't expecting a finely detailed model then it's acceptable and you could detail it up a little more. I just need to actually build a layout to put it on now:rolleyes:.

Simon

IMG_20200611_122151666.jpg

IMG_20200611_122103148.jpg

Edited by simonmcp
Missing text
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1