Hornby/Dapol Lanky Pug DCC fitting suggestions?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a decoder that would be easy to fit into one of the above locos?  How straightforward a job was it?

I would really like to add one of these to my fleet however, as the remainder of my locos are either dcc ready or are easy to hardwire, I would like to answer the above question before I buy.

Many thanks for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks both of you for your responses.

I thought it would a bit cramped but as I've never taken one apart I have no idea how much space, if any, was available in the tank.  Impressed by the sound; it compares favourably to film taken at Goole of one of the preserved ones (an posted on here).  I'll look up the decoder that's referred to.

The model I was looking at is also the same one as is in Paul's video.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I decided to go for the pug (#51240), and one of my spare decoders looks small enough to fit; if it does I'll post the make, model, etc.  Also been in touch with High Level Kits about their chassis kit, wheels, etc, and they've been very helpful.  Will have to have a long think about the latter as it's something I've never done before.

Again, thanks for reading.

Regards,

Alex.

6 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

I decided to go for the pug (#51240), and one of my spare decoders looks small enough to fit; if it does I'll post the make, model, etc.  Also been in touch with High Level Kits about their chassis kit, wheels, etc, and they've been very helpful.  Will have to have a long think about the latter as it's something I've never done before.

High Level kits are very good.  I'm working on a GER Y5, and I've built several others from the range. 

BUT, unless you've built a few etched wagons, or similar, I'd go and do some practise first - ideally on something from nickel silver (Chris at High Level's usual choice for chassis).  Its far cheaper and less annoying to make learning mistakes on a wagon or two. 

You'll need a fair size toolkit to construct the chassis - files, abrasive pads, fibre brush, fine wet&dry, drills, reamers (to open holes to required size), small tweezers, pliers, several knives, possibly a fine saw, a decent vice, good soldering iron.   

- Nigel 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the advice.  Could you recommend any particular range/manufacturer of wagon kits?

Fortunately I have most of the tools you recommend.

Thanks.

Regards,

Alex.