Current use of Milton Estate, Didcot

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody know if, and for what purpose, the siding at Milton Estate at Didcot is currently being used? At 45m25s into the video (link below) of a cab ride from Bristol to London filmed in December last year, there is a class 59 with a rake of box wagons sitting at Foxhall Junction. It can only have got where it is by coming out of Milton Estate or by setting back in for reasons unknown. Also, the Open Train Times website has shown “WGNS” in the relevant signal berth on a couple of occasions recently indicating there are some wagons berthed there. I’m just asking out of idle curiosity :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SfwsH8QIrs&t=3313s

• RMweb Gold

I think the bottom end of the sidings in the estate might still be blocked by all sorts of non-railway bits & pieces.  But the east end might occasionally be used for stabling?

Interesting regulation east of Reading as he kept on catching something else ;)  I have to say I find the loss of parallel Main & Relief Line signals east of Slough, and even worse east of West Drayton, to be rather distracting - I kept on looking for signals which are no longer there! 

• Thanks 1

Milton sidings is used by liner to stable Mendip traffic. Pre coronavirus the Oxford went up on a Friday night, stabled the traffic for Monday then the loco went light engine. Monday morning, a loco would go up light from Whatley or Stoke Gifford to collect the traffic.

During the lockdown and the downturn in traffic, I think they have had a set of empties sat there 

Jo

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Milton sidings is used by liner to stable Mendip traffic. Pre coronavirus the Oxford went up on a Friday night, stabled the traffic for Monday then the loco went light engine. Monday morning, a loco would go up light from Whatley or Stoke Gifford to collect the traffic.

During the lockdown and the downturn in traffic, I think they have had a set of empties sat there 

Jo

Thanks. Last time I saw anything in there it was Didcot Yard’s 08 with a few ferry wagons about 30 years ago.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1