Horton

mac1960

Posted (edited)

Back on small photos again firstly a Patriot on Bradford stopper meets a 4F heading North on a pick up freight.

783f6ad5-9adb-496f-848a-1dd629ec3acc.JPG.54a965b4e15951caf65651a0f983bc7d.JPG

Class 40 whistles up the bank heading for Kingmoor.

4c8cbe54-71fe-4ede-a2fa-b5e07cf1a034.JPG

A 9F heads rattles down the bank disturbing sleepy Horton heading for Widnes. 

8ec99e14-fe7c-48e1-8ef5-9dca1db5943f.JPG

A relatively new Clayton Cl 17 back then heads for Stourton with a semi fitted freight.

2f894abf-5a3a-4631-9af3-7a7a83ddcabb.JPG

Not so old and the relatively new pass with Cl 40 northbound for Kingmoor and another Long Meg heads South. 

ddd79589-b458-4bbb-aa48-d56db5bf6d5b.JPG

Edited by mac1960
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

JRSS / Dragonboy

Thank you for the kind comments with regards to Horton.

The photo shoot went very well with Jonathan Newton of the Hornby Magazine. The layout behaved itself, with no issues at all over the 4  hrs it took to complete. We now have to write up an article to go with it, which will be shared by myself and Richard. As for when it will be in the Magazine I am not sure, and neither is Jonathan. Basically it depends to a degree on what layouts are coming up already. This layout is mid 60,s BR steam diesel, so it depends on how many of this type of layout are coming up to be featured in the magazine. You obviously don't want just this type / period of layout, so in short it could be sometime.  I know there are 2 other layouts that Richard was involved with (Staly Vegas / Mills bridge - which are modelled in the same period as Horton) and these are ahead of Horton for publication in the Hornby Magazine, with Mills Bridge being the first of those. Staly Vegas the other one was also photographed yesterday, with a video and still photos and an interview with Richard, so I would say maybe in the next 12 months with regards to Hortons appearance in print. 

We are thinking of doing another layout together that would be more exhibition friendly, as we have found through the build of Horton that we work very well together. This would have to be more on the Staly Vegas size due to storage issues, and would have to sit under Horton when not in use, but currently this has only just started to be discussed with senior management (my wife !!). 

As for what it would be, I favour a more urban view, and we have discussed the line around Oxford Road in Manchester with the line on a viaduct with maybe just the end of a platform, and one point to the outer edge of a bay platform. This would obviously require overhead wires if we were to do that particular line, which Richard is unsure about for an exhibition layout, but they would not be operational. The period would be the same as Horton, so early to mid 60,s and the stock would be largely the same as Horton with addition of some AC electric traction obviously in the early Electric Blue colour scheme. However we are some way of on this yet.

Our next task is to get Horton back to my house in the  next few weeks, and set up and running, and I can then get some more photos of trains and layout which I will then post, though not up too Jonathan's standard alas.

Thanks once again for your comments.      

Edited by mac1960

Well we took advantage of the good weather yesterday and Horton was moved to its permanent home yesterday afternoon but is  disassembled awaiting erecting. I am not sure when this will be as I am away again but hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have received the proof copy photos from the shoot on Saturday which look very good but I obviously cannot share these until after their publication in the magazine . However when Horton is re erected I will post further photos of various locomotives and indeed trains.

• Like 1

Well a few more photos from our (though I was not there) pre photo shoot. I am away again so I hope these up load ok.

A Class 40 heads North for Carlisle underneath the southern occupation slew bridge while the farmer or could be vet heads toward Horton in his Mk1 Land Rover.

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-16.jpg.95a72bb2d2c2041521bd4e97f035949e.jpg

A grimy 8F coasts down hill for Leeds and home with the crew dreaming of a pint of Tetley's or two already, know doubt .

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-15.jpg.4a8090930df827e085ec93763cc87a6c.jpg

Jubilee Hardy heads North on heavy parcels from Bradford - its those bloody Grattan catalogue Christmas additions know doubt !  Well into the climb now with the Fireman t starting to ache a little, I hope he has kind driver, but at least its a dry day. 

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-15.jpg.8cbc891c319276b77819426cd5a954be.jpg

A 4F not far from the cutters Torch heads north with a pick up freight through the trees, complete with with its late Yellow stripe, probably its last paint job !   

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-14.jpg.bc66e798130c4bf5b05256c8da50d34d.jpg

The pick up freight with a 4F , and the Up Bradford stopper with a Scot Sir Fredrick Harrison both get underway in Horton, though one will definitely get an easier trip ! However both have up coming appointments with the cutting torch unfortunately, however they got their newly acquired Yellow stripes in September 1964, though Kingmoor cleaners obviously did not like theirs judging by the colour of her ! A not unusual fate for Kingmoor based locos as many photographer's back then commented upon. I think most also hated the Yellow stripe, but to me that is so evocative of the time, and therefore it has to be included in our model of this time, which is autumn in the period1964 -67 for those interested in these things. 

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-14.jpg.de693e7ac0a33c05139219f36f8975ef.jpg

The stopper earlier glides into Horton with little effort with Scot Sir Fredrick Harrison on the front, while farmer Noakes looks on with Shep at his flock .

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-14.jpg.80ad7272c598af7e2c35d0d8fbf004e5.jpg

An earlier photo of the  4F heading under the occupation bridge from the South. 

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-14.jpg.21f8e7873157d2fc29aa836f1278834d.jpg

• Like 4

One last photo of the new order with a Green DMU heading down the bank with a stopper to Skipton calling at all stations from Carlisle. Also the Inspector calls with the Royal Barge on an inspection trip of the district  with a Class 2 for power. Horton will not be winning the best kept station award as Mr Taylor who was the station master at the real Horton in Ribblesdale had moved to Settle by now.

Hope you enjoyed the photos, and sorry bout my ramblings but time for bed here its been a long day !!   

PHOTO-2024-04-19-10-05-14.jpg.f0f6d8e3ba38a0266f5a343127760e97.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Well I have just got back from my travels and Horton is up and running with no issues so far at my home. I need to test run a number of locomotives, but so far this evening all the 8F , Scots , Austerity, 4F , CL45 / 46, 40, 33; 25,26 ,17 are fine. The 9F of which I have 3 were more problematic with only 1nr  behaving itself for the Photo session the other week - pony truck issues.  Britanias can also have issues , though out of 6 , 3 run well. As for the Jubilee and Class 5 we had same issues, which is annoying as they are both associated with the S&C and we have a number. One Jubilee Alberta ran very well, the others and the Black Fives not so , but we will see. But the rebuilt Scot no issues. You do have to wonder about some of the QA/QC sometimes.

However the other steam CL 2, 4 ran fine along with Std 5 for some reason. Our lone A1 was also good 👍 

Generally diesels run well and the more complex valve geared steam locomotives seem to have more issues. Anyway we will see over the coming days or rather evenings. Once I have run up all the locomotives I will then start to make up the trains though will clean track beforehand obviously, and do a wheel cleaning exercise. There are no problems with clearances or points which is good after the big move.

Glad to be home and very pleased to have Horton back 👍👍

Cheers

Edited by mac1960