O gauge wagon detailing

I have recently been building a selection of Parkside and Slaters O gauge wagon kits. 1960s -  early 1970s is where I'm aiming period wise.

However this has come to a stand as I am looking to get some subtle variety in the fleet. Almost every kit comes with split axleboxes and I would quite like to ring the changes, same with vacuum pipes and buffers

Despite my best efforts I have been unable to source the following detail parts, if indeed they exist

BR plate front axleboxes (just the box, no springs . I have plenty of springs in the spares box)

Low vacuum pipes. I  know about the Slaters option but is there an alternative?

Tall vacuum pipes. The Parkside moulding is a bit rough for my liking. Is there a better alternative out there?

Screw couplings . Can find plenty for locos but they don't seem to look right for wagons

Buffers. There has to be more than just the 3 long,1 short rib or Oleo type.  How about some nice self contained or heavy duty types?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, interesting that you are looking for details.

For vacuum pipes I love Slaters and hate Parkside.  Slaters have the upstanding pipes as well as the lower ones, you have to look around the site.  GWR carriage vacuum pipes are one example.

Invertrain have a good selection of buffers.  I've used these and can recommend.  Housings are whitemetal, but are pre drilled so easy to assemble.

For wagons, I like Dapol screw link couplings, great value and they look good to me.  I spent 3 hours making up the screw coupling for my JLTRT Fruit D, that's silly.

I can't speak to the axle boxes.  Some kits have alternate boxes.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks for those

I've looked at Invertrain although I've  not really found what I'm looking for, there are some useful types there that could soon be making their way into my might be useful in one day bits and pieces stash.

I'll give the Dapol couplings a try.

The Slater's kits have what looks like the plate front for the axlebox but I'm blowed if I can find the rest of the thing. There is a flat fronted split type back but that is the wrong shape to go planting the front on. I may well have to resort to filler and file and cobble something together.

Slater's  don't really help thesmelves with the website do they? The descriptions are a bit vague, really need a photo too. I was looking under wagon bits not coach bits.

The axle box search continues. That Parkside plywood GW van needs a BR built twist

Andy

Can't help with axleboxes as I mentioned.

Slater's site could do with improving.  The parts need pictures, it is hard to tell from words alone.

I just rescued the Parkside V36 van and used some Slater's parts on it:

P1010221.JPG.790489454f804ce2097ce0a16d0f6ad2.JPG

It came to me as a coarse 0 build with horrid couplings and seized couplings and buffers.

Not sure what you mean by "BR built twist" though.

John

• Like 1

BR built twist

A diagram 1/205 or 1/203. GW design, BR built. Plate front axleboxes and tall or low vac pipe dependeing on which you go for

Andy

The type seen on the stores van ADB753239 is what I'm after.

The same type of axlebox can be found widely on BR standard vans too and are quite common on Vanwides.

Andy

Edited by SM42