Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Information on fragile exhibition train needed

I have finally found some images of an exhibition train produced in 1937 as seen in the Pathe News clip at the following URL

The train was built for Pilkington Glass and there are various images online of the interior.

Can anyone provide any further information on this train, in particular what were the “donor” vehicles, I only know that they were ex LNER coaches.

My reason for the interest in these vehicles is that they were used as part of the support train for one of the heavy railway guns during WWII.  A “called up” version of the coaches would seem to be easy to model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

I have finally found some images of an exhibition train produced in 1937 as seen in the Pathe News clip at the following URL

The train was built for Pilkington Glass and there are various images online of the interior.

Can anyone provide any further information on this train, in particular what were the “donor” vehicles, I only know that they were ex LNER coaches.

My reason for the interest in these vehicles is that they were used as part of the support train for one of the heavy railway guns during WWII.  A “called up” version of the coaches would seem to be easy to model.

They look like clerestory coaches with a 'modern', 1930s make-over??

• Agree 1

I have just quickly leafed through Ken Hoole's 'Illustrated History of ECJS' in case any of the notes reveal clerestory eight wheelers 'sold out of service to Pilkington' or similar, but no joy. Stylistically the vehicle origins are Doncaster for the GNR or ECJS. (I rather feel that the all mirrored interior might prove uncomfortable for many while in motion. Having experienced the all mirrored receiving room of a Prince-Bishop-Elector somewhere in the South East of Germany, that was disconcerting standing still - by design...)