Heljan Class 33 Headcodes

• RMweb Gold

Trying to make my Class 33 have simple blank headcodes at each end (maybe not the most prototypical setup but I don't really want a headcode number on the back when its pushing the 4TC).

Sadly Heljan no longer supply a sheet of headcodes with the 33's, whats the best option for accquiring some? Preferably self adhesive like the the ones it comes with.

I'm actually wondering if a plain black sticky label will actually do the job - the factory ones are just self adhesive stickers on the back of the centre window glass.

• RMweb Premium

If your period is long enough ago (and after about 1965, which a 4-TC suggests), the rear of a train would have had either a red tail lamp (old EMUs, with a white panel and no stencil) or two red blinds (modern EMUs and presumable a light engine, or a 33/1 or 73 propelling a TC. OTOH, the rear of a 33 of any sort, or a 73, which was pulling a train should, I believe, have been black in those days in the same way that non-corridor modern EMUs (EPB, HAP, etc) and DEMUs coupled in the middle of a train would not have had red blinds.

On short electric runs (particularly Brighton-West Worthing, Arundel-Littlehampton) the old EMUs (BILs, HALs) were known to sometimes have a stencil at each end (1, 3 if my memory serves), with a tail lamp at the rear - but I don't think anything like that has ever been reported on postwar designs with blinds.

Unfortunately, caring about such things is a recipe for pain, the next step is not running terminus layouts because the EMU or 33/1+TC will look odd at at least one end. I recall that the late owner of no-nonsense kits used to provide decals or perhaps printed paper for early BR blinds (larger numbers, white blinds at rear - red lamp required) and later BR (including white blinds and red blinds). But finding such things nowadays will be problematic.

Of course eventually headcodes were no-longer officially used, and in those times you can get away with almost anything although you probably should have whatever was appropriate as a tail indication at the rear, and perhaps also a white headlight at the front.

If you can put up with plain black, I'm sure that black paper or paint might suffice.

And if all else fails, "rule 1".

ĸen

10 hours ago, Kaput said:

Trying to make my Class 33 have simple blank headcodes at each end (maybe not the most prototypical setup but I don't really want a headcode number on the back when its pushing the 4TC).

Sadly Heljan no longer supply a sheet of headcodes with the 33's, whats the best option for accquiring some? Preferably self adhesive like the the ones it comes with.

I'm actually wondering if a plain black sticky label will actually do the job - the factory ones are just self adhesive stickers on the back of the centre window glass.

I am messaging you with a possible solution.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks folks - managed to find a seller on eBay selling vinyl sticker type codes that look vaugely like what I'm after.

Just waiting for delivery. All goes well the headcode blinds will be in place and I can move onto getting full independant directional lights on it.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Many thanks folks - managed to find a seller on eBay selling vinyl sticker type codes that look vaugely like what I'm after.

Just waiting for delivery. All goes well the headcode blinds will be in place and I can move onto getting full independant directional lights on it.

Do you have a link to the item as I am needing to add some blank headcode blinds as well.

Thanks,

Roy

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Thanks for that - they do look good. Will be interesting to see how you get on.

Funnily enough, I was looking at some wagon Hazchem labels from them the other day and  didn't realise they did the headcodes.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I put them inside. The factory ones stick to the back of the glazing. These ones are sticky on the back instead of the front so I just carefully cut them to size and stuck them to the bodyshell itself.

Had to put a little bit of off cut (painted with black marker) over the little circle hole under the holes for the blinds so the light wouldn't shine through too much.

Just need to the lighting kit fitted by someone that doesn't suck at soldering like me so it can have LEDs and independent control. Then it'll be sound decoder for the 4TC :)