Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Morning all,

I’m currently sitting in the Spokane Airport, as we fly home today. However yesterday I made some interesting purchases at an antique store.

The first is a set of 1890s drill bits in original box, which has a rotating drawer. The other two things were a “Eagle” oil can, as my current can leaks, and a circle drawing tool. Here are a some photos. 

682DB144-085B-435A-9BBB-6D54BDFB4B68.jpeg.544db28f906a3386682f49329c9c3176.jpeg

E774D3BF-EC46-4576-844F-E3078C863659.jpeg.3671ccc016af8c3cd6b970a58ad88773.jpeg

63C0F6A5-90E6-4E55-862D-24BF48C0FC64.jpeg.1ba142b6fed0be75b805db5900808e70.jpeg

44406177-F9B4-4D43-BE76-6D31EDF13FB3.jpeg.391c7ade31d8fb8f944de6bf536ac674.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I made some interesting purchases at an antique store.

Will you be able to take them when you fly home? If so,  I hope you have a generous checked baggage allowance!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, polybear said:

And only £140 a ton........:jester:

Too late...long gone.....

The next loco I ran was light green so perhaps I shouldn’t upset anyone’s artistic sensibilities by posting a photo of that. It did have a train of pretty coaches though. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

No our friend up here is shipping them home.

Speaking of home our flight out of Denver just got cancelled.:mellow:

Google maps suggests a 57 hour cycle ride home from Denver for you. I hope the next flight doesn’t take that long. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

63C0F6A5-90E6-4E55-862D-24BF48C0FC64.jpeg.1ba142b6fed0be75b805db5900808e70.jpeg

Douglas

One of our local hardware stores still sells cans like this in at least three different sizes. Different brand name, though.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

One of our local hardware stores still sells cans like this in at least three different sizes. Different brand name, though.

Probably Goldenrod, I had one by them in the same style. My current oil can is by them as well, I don’t recommend keeping steam oil in them, as they start leaking out the bottom seam after 4 months.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

And only £140 a ton........:jester:

Too late...long gone.....

Worth more than that due to the copious amounts of non ferrous metals used in locos of the GWR.

They might be scrap but  at least they are GWR scrap.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Worth more than that due to the copious amounts of non ferrous metals used in locos of the GWR.

They might be scrap but  at least they are GWR scrap.

Sounds like a good idea?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Thankfully we didn’t check any bags, all carry on.

My son was flying from Calgary to Houston to meet me. He had some really cheap ticket that involved I think 3 changes of plane. However the first plane broke down on the runway so he was put in a hotel and on a direct flight the next morning and arrived a few hours later than originally planned. At Calgary initially he was told to go away and check in the morning. However the woman in the queue behind got cross and informed them they couldn’t treat him like that and negotiated on his behalf. She was a lawyer, she was cross about a young person being misinformed.  

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

And Lord alone knows where your luggage would end up!

Dave

From the beginning of the jet age:

Breakfast in London

Lunch in New York

Dinner in Los Angeles

Baggage in Rio de Janeiro

• Agree 2
  • Funny 14

2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

We are currently marooned in a hotel in Denver, trying to get ourselves a better flight than leaving at 3 Pm tomorrow and flying Houston then Tulsa. Hippoty hoppity we seem to be United Airlines property.

Douglas

I feel your pain, Douglas!

We got screwed over by United when flying Houston-Calgary-Vancouver. Not only did we miss our connection in Calgary, we missed the last flight of the day. They did put us up in an airport hotel, but gave us nothing for meals or for the excess parking costs in Vancouver. (The checkin clerk at the hotel told us to go back and demand a food voucher, but by then United had closed for the night and gone home.) I had a fairly long correspondence with United’s “customer services” department during which they lied to me about the reasons for the delay, but would not refund any money. I ended up telling them that I would add them to my ‘do not fly with’ list and have only flown United once in the six plus years since, when it would really have been ‘cutting off my nose to spite my face’ not to.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Hope you make some progress Douglas.  It doesn't sound good.

Here i've just been to let the hens out and on the way through the shed the redstarts were very vocal. On the way back i saw the fledgling trying to gdt out through a window. I was able to trap it gently usi g an old margarine carton and a dustpan, it's amazing what comes to hand.  Then it was taken out and put near where one of the parents was making a racket.  They are now reunited. A good start to the day.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I thought I would give the green engines a run today. 

20210731_130645_resized_1.jpg.6fbc481f465b2afc749fe992852a8acb.jpg

All  I see is some wheeshy, steam thing

Green engines?

See my profile pic for a proper green engine 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, SM42 said:

All  I see is some wheeshy, steam thing

Green engines?

See my profile pic for a proper green engine 

Andy

My green diesels could probably benefit from a run too but I think blue locos will get the next day out.  Not today though as I will be driving to Enfield, not diesel powered though. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

No progress has been made and it’s looking very likely our seats our going to be sold out from under us as we are flying on United Miles. What a joke.

The last time we flew with United was London - San Diego via Minneapolis in 1989. The service was so poor and the cabin staff so surly that Jill swore she would never go near a United aircraft ever again, and we haven't. The flight from Minneapolis was delayed because of a staffing problem and their 'customer service' was so appalling that there was a near riot among the passengers. How bad the experience was is shown by the fact that I still remember it from all those years ago and it sounds as though things haven't changed much.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

My green diesels could probably benefit from a run too but I think blue locos will get the next day out.  Not today though as I will be driving to Enfield, not diesel powered though. 

All my locos could do with a run.

With the exception of the 14xx and the little Fowler 0-4-0 dm which I sound fitted earlier in the year, none have turned a wheel since  the latter half of 2019!

Perhaps the purchase of some of Peco's '0' gauge set track curves might be an idea?

Can anyone explain to my why the British and Irish Lions only bothered to turn up for the first half of the second test match against South Africa yesterday?

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

The service was so poor and the cabin staff so surly that Jill swore she would never go near a United aircraft ever again,

The United Calgary to Houston flight Matthew was transferred to was,ok but he said he would prefer not to fly with them again. He had to put up with a few hours of a flight attendants’s impersonation of a London accent and some silly dance every time he was near him. The return flight was operated by Air Canada. Apart from the fact that they wouldn’t accept his Canadian bank card ( Nat West was fine though) it went quite well. 
Tony

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3