Shalfleet Quay, Isle of Wight 1927-35.

LBSC123

On 16/12/2020 at 22:55, TeakDB said:

Buffers was something that was vaguely on my horizon aswell so I've looked through all the books I have tonight.

Now in the the 50s onwards i've found (so far) 4 early SR bufferstops, some rebuilt with sleepers instead of wood for the beam. Considering the SR didnt produce a standardised buffer untill around 1928 i think for both our time periods it would probably be a bit out of character to get brand spanking new bufferstops. Now I think I can identify lbscr buffers at ventnor in the 30s after the turntable was removed and horringford on the IWCR pre grouping, I also a view of one of the buffers at a siding in bembridge in the 30s is a lswr buffer. To confuse matters further I think the carriage siding at Brading had an earth mound contained by timber as the bufferstop in the 30s. 

Looking at your backstory for shalfleet with a relaying of track in 26/27 I think it'd be most likely for lbsc or lswr buffers to be used- im currently erring more towards lbsc due to seeing one used when relaying a bit of ventnor in the early 30s. Im so far thinking about using these for Brading unless I find anything to the contrary.

Additionally since yours was originally a private concern like the FYN you could of hodgepodged any old thing and the SR may of just left it in place or added a new stop on it so really it could be anything- It also means like the FYN you could of bought any old rolling stock pre grouping so you could throw in all manner of kits- problem solved!

On 17/12/2020 at 10:34, Nick C said:

Looking at the two Middleton Press books, which tend to be slightly better for older photos than others, I've found 3 useful pre-war shots - 

IWCR No 8 at Carisbrooke with what appears to be a timber-built stop on the siding there.

W3 at Bembridge (so before she was renumbered to W13) with another LSWR-type stop clearly in shot.

W20 at Brading dated 1937, with a spectacularly basic stop at the end of the siding in front of the 'box - hard to describe, but must be locally made in true Island fashion!

Thanks for the helpful explanation on this, I shall use the festive period to conduct a bit of research myself and have a bit of think about what looks best. I’m attracted to the LBSC ones purely because they look a bit more ‘light weight’ than ex LSWR ones, which would be more in keeping with the rest of the layout, I think.

As an aside does anyone know where LSWR ones available from?

17 hours ago, DLT said:

What a lovely project Mr.LBSC, I've only just come across it.

All the best, Dave.T

Many thanks for the kind words @DLT. As is always the way, one learns a lot constructing a layout and there are a few areas I could and would do differently, that said I’m fairly happy with how it’s panning out at the moment.

Maybe on the next layout I’ll finally reach perfection... 

• Like 1

Following the completion of the resin pour, I’ve been awaiting the arrival of a few parts to keep me ticking over during a Tier 4 Christmas.

The next priority is to build up a collection of wagons so that I can do some shunting with a prototypical stock. Initially I estimate I need about 10 wagons for the bare bones of the shunting puzzle game I’ve got in mind but this is designed for further expansion as I build up a fleet of engineering wagons, and Shalfleet Harbour Railway internal user stock, further down the line. 

The first kit I made a start on was a Cambrian LBSC 5 plank. They really are rather lovely. 

17F09174-B8C2-4504-996C-2207DD7D93FF.jpeg.19ec9507fcf1a5c14ae54c0469515ed8.jpeg

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Thanks for all the help and support on the layout. I couldn’t have got to where it is without it! 

Here’s to a better 2021. 

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Nick C said:

The Cambrian Brighton open is rather a nice little kit. One thing I've found improves them well is to replace the buffer heads with turned ones (wizard models), as the plastic ones are a bit crude.

Thanks for the info @Nick C, in assembling the first one I did feel that the buffer assembly did let the rest of the kit down somewhat, particularly compared to the Ratio models which also have turned buffer heads, so this is useful to know. I'll see if I can source some suitable turned heads for the remaining kits. 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Thanks for the info @Nick C, in assembling the first one I did feel that the buffer assembly did let the rest of the kit down somewhat, particularly compared to the Ratio models which also have turned buffer heads, so this is useful to know. I'll see if I can source some suitable turned heads for the remaining kits. 

I think these are the ones I used: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/loc413/

Some on here go much further and replace the brake safety loops etc, but that's beyond my skill level! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Apologies for the lack of updates over the festive period. I was having a well earned rest, unfortunately not with family this year due to being stuck in Tier 4. 

This enabled me to make some progress layout, namely and the rolling stock. I'll let the photos do the talking.

I've built a Smallbrooks Road Van, LBSC Box Van and Open wagon, these were started some years ago and so as a result possibly had a few mistakes along the way, namely the handrails on the Road Van (I really need to get a smaller drill bit and a something to bend the handrails with, any ideas?). That said, I think they'll look OK when painted and weathered. 

295538929_WhatsAppImage2020-12-29at20_05.30(2).jpeg.a8028b67acda85de8f81beaf7d414243.jpeg

I've also built up these two ex LNWR Ratio wagons these will represent ex IWR/IWC wagons, painted into SR livery. 

1656935527_WhatsAppImage2020-12-29at20_05.30(1).jpeg.0b0e01e1b8632753af90a9908cee1571.jpeg

Finally, I've built up 3 Cambrian Models ex LBSC wagons, a staple of the line. 

37648314_WhatsAppImage2020-12-29at20_05_30.jpeg.d822936f72f16bd9cc508ff2f0c4b98d.jpeg

These will all need painting and transfers in due course. 

I've also been working on a Thames Barge, which can be seen below. I'm not far off painting this, but need to do some work on the rigging. Any ideas on this greatly appreciated! 

1759243352_WhatsAppImage2020-12-29at20_05.30(3).jpeg.3100fc1db0efdaa65e98f3c1a2e37209.jpeg

1862717652_WhatsAppImage2020-12-29at20_06.18(1).jpeg.f28f2dce611ca99929fc8ca08ef1b83d.jpeg
More soon. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

EZ Line for rigging. It is a latex filament and stretches out of the way when knocked, and is easily fixed at each end with superglue. Apply with a little tension and it keeps it all straight. Brown to represent rope - other colours available, e.g. green for copper OHLE.

This is on my 2mm scale Clyde Puffer.

Lyra_on_Loch_Tat.jpg.733bb7aab15f1af57c5c3077a57f0835.jpg

Bill Bedford handrail bending jig. Similar offerings available elsewhere, like Eileen's Emporium.

blogentry-11458-0-16879500-1521286448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 7

Very very nice! Congrats, the layout's taken a real leap forward :) 

3 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Any ideas on this greatly appreciated!

1) Check out ship modeller's forums - there are RMWeb equivalents out there (although obviously not quite as lovely)

2) Don't panic :) You already have the tools, skill and patience to make a good job of it; 1:76 is a fairly small scale for maritime modelling and the gear on barges is (comparatively) simple; it's also pretty staunch:

photograph-produced-using-the-woodburyty

...and that's on a small up-river barge! It does, however, mean that the lay of the rope and wire will be obvious on the model, which might make something like EZ Line less convincing...

3) Thames sailing barges must be about the best documented and least variable sailing vessels, bar none. There's not only an embarrasment of documentary references, but loads of the real things left and working so you can go and look at/chat to them when you're out of Tier 4. Excellent choice of prototype:

24th-september-1934-thames-sailing-barge

The kind of information you can get from the above (open in new tab and zoom) just isn't available for many other types of craft. It's a treat!

4) It could be worse...

Whose barge model is that btw? Looks good :) 

Excellent stuff, as ever. Looking forward to the next update.

Schooner

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Excellent progress, and It really starts to come alive with the rolling stock added! For handrails I bought the dcc concepts 4mm handrail jig ruler as I like the idea of two tools in one.

Fortuantly SR freight is very easy to paint so I look forward to the next update! I'd also caution you to look closely at the provided roof for the lbsc covered goods as I found that mine weren't cut straight and had a big too much overhang on each side- although yours may be fine.

David

On 29/12/2020 at 22:27, Ian Morgan said:

EZ Line for rigging. It is a latex filament and stretches out of the way when knocked, and is easily fixed at each end with superglue. Apply with a little tension and it keeps it all straight. Brown to represent rope - other colours available, e.g. green for copper OHLE.

This is on my 2mm scale Clyde Puffer.

Lyra_on_Loch_Tat.jpg.a4f11feed7c16b47ecd3853302ca455f.jpg

Bill Bedford handrail bending jig. Similar offerings available elsewhere, like Eileen's Emporium.

blogentry-11458-0-16879500-1521286448_thumb.jpg

Thanks @Ian Morgan for the advice Re-EZ line, I'll have to investigate it!

On 30/12/2020 at 00:21, Schooner said:

Very very nice! Congrats, the layout's taken a real leap forward :) 

1) Check out ship modeller's forums - there are RMWeb equivalents out there (although obviously not quite as lovely)

2) Don't panic :) You already have the tools, skill and patience to make a good job of it; 1:76 is a fairly small scale for maritime modelling and the gear on barges is (comparatively) simple; it's also pretty staunch:

photograph-produced-using-the-woodburyty

...and that's on a small up-river barge! It does, however, mean that the lay of the rope and wire will be obvious on the model, which might make something like EZ Line less convincing...

3) Thames sailing barges must be about the best documented and least variable sailing vessels, bar none. There's not only an embarrasment of documentary references, but loads of the real things left and working so you can go and look at/chat to them when you're out of Tier 4. Excellent choice of prototype:

24th-september-1934-thames-sailing-barge

The kind of information you can get from the above (open in new tab and zoom) just isn't available for many other types of craft. It's a treat!

4) It could be worse...

Whose barge model is that btw? Looks good :) 

Excellent stuff, as ever. Looking forward to the next update.

Schooner

@Schooner, thanks for the informative post and pictures of Thames Barges, they'll certainly get me started. Do you have any advice on which Ship Model forum's are best? 

The model itself is from: https://www.vintageminiaturemodels.co.uk/, it's a fairly nice kit to put together, although requiring some filling. I'm not really a huge fan of resin, although perhaps that comes from inexperience. The kit leaves a little bit to be desired in terms of the rigging, sails and masts, which is the area I've now got to, and am looking for the best way to proceed. All it came with was the tubing for the masts and templates. The picture below is from their website from a customer, and shows what is technically possible (although how I get there I am not too sure..!)

265641292_ScreenShot2020-12-31at17_29_20.png.5db377565cb1e370295b72490e354e1c.png

On 30/12/2020 at 08:57, Northroader said:

You’re in London, I haven’t been for a while (guess why) but I’m pretty sure there’s a Thames barge kicking around the St Catherine’s dock area.

Good idea @Northroader, that's this weekends cycle ride sorted!

23 hours ago, TeakDB said:

Excellent progress, and It really starts to come alive with the rolling stock added! For handrails I bought the dcc concepts 4mm handrail jig ruler as I like the idea of two tools in one.

Fortuantly SR freight is very easy to paint so I look forward to the next update! I'd also caution you to look closely at the provided roof for the lbsc covered goods as I found that mine weren't cut straight and had a big too much overhang on each side- although yours may be fine.

David

Thanks for the warning, the roof on my LBSC Van has long been lost in the mist of time, so if you could send the dimensions over for this that would be much appriciated @TeakDB

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Oh, and I'd also suggest reaching out to @bgman, creator of truly beautiful scratch ship models of relevance to both of us - including a Thames barge and their West Country relations (sort of), the Severn trow and Tamar barge.

image.jpg

Thanks for the tip off and exquisite photograph of the ship and rigging... It looks like I've got some research to do!

Hope everyone has the best New Years possible given the circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi LBSC 123.

Are you contemplating any of the new Hornby 4 wheeled coaches which are said to resemble the LBSCR ones quite well, apart from the grab handles ?

I have not seen any good detail images of them yet, but have provisionally ordered a set of the LBSCR  and LSWR  liveried ones from my local supplier.  Will go nicely with Terriers, E4s, Adam Radials and M7s, with a bit of modellers license.

They are only doing their 6 wheeled ones in Southern livery at the moment, but no doubt 4 wheelers later.

All the best

Ray

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi LBSC 123.

Are you contemplating any of the new Hornby 4 wheeled coaches which are said to resemble the LBSCR ones quite well, apart from the grab handles ?

I have not seen any good detail images of them yet, but have provisionally ordered a set of the LBSCR  and LSWR  liveried ones from my local supplier.  Will go nicely with Terriers, E4s, Adam Radials and M7s, with a bit of modellers license.

They are only doing their 6 wheeled ones in Southern livery at the moment, but no doubt 4 wheelers later.

All the best

Ray

The four wheelers look to be pretty much based on the LBSC Billinton stock to my eye, if they bring them out in southern green later I would be tempted to just replace the handrails and use them as such.

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi LBSC 123.

All the best

Ray

Hi @wainwright1, thanks for the question. At present I’ve got a number of the Hattons coaches pre ordered, in my mind the 6 wheelers don’t look too far off the ex LCDR stock that went over to the island, and the 4 wheelers could possibility representative of other 4 wheelers (ex LSWR/MSLR etc, I know there not THAT close but I won’t look too closely).

At present I’m not sure what to do about the Hornby ones on account of the fact they look rather like ex LBSC ones but are 6 wheelers, I’ll think on it, but won’t be cancelling my Hattons order... 

The bigger problem is the rapid acquisition of coaching stock on a goods only branch.... maybe I need to build another layout, or fit a small platform to the quay?

2 hours ago, TeakDB said:

The four wheelers look to be pretty much based on the LBSC Billinton stock to my eye, if they bring them out in southern green later I would be tempted to just replace the handrails and use them as such.

Yes, this is my thinking too...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I had better give people a well overdue update on the layout. Despite lockdown, I've been somewhat rushed off my feet passing out as a Guard on the 'big railway' and with various projects I'm involved in at the Heritage Railway I volunteer at. 

Despite that, I have managed to make some progress, and have got the Thames Barge to a point of getting the first of primer on. It still needs some finishing in areas, and I'm somewhat hamstrung in terms of not having an airbrush. I've got the bits for the rigging, which I fit when I've got the hull into top coat. 

141323376_1058972741276150_7162841746333114317_n.jpg.41064b3fb8f2eed79f1d4ebd9872e011.jpg

Alongside this I've been painting the various wagons shown previously, this has given me a new found admiration for those of you who regularly kit build, it's very time consuming! I guess we really spoilt by the RTR offerings these days. I'll take a photo of the state of play of these when I next get them out to work on.

I've got various detailing bits for the quay too, which will be fitted in due course (I still need to build a lighting gantry and fiddle yard... difficult on the 4th floor during lockdown... 

Alongside this, I've received my Terrier back from being weathered, it looks rather splendid. 

140302399_482919703105478_6183681811229333336_n.jpg.1f7e62ac0c56aaf7dfefed7d17497dc7.jpg

140484987_424698882188959_7894023891655408216_n.jpg.766191f5ba2c663bc655d5726ece2911.jpg

I also had a few Rule 1 purchases... Perhaps these will spawn their own layouts in due course?!

140372131_5511231418890811_3011629893536988429_n.jpg.dfb2f9b0ff1a1557a5e993ca132104e1.jpg

140387358_168266165099435_4580003048419563972_n.jpg.2c228d9f9c663dd9cf23e9acf4ad0515.jpg

The S100s have always been a weak spot for me, since seeing one of their Yugoslavian counterparts working in a colliery in 2014. 

image.png.8092e5af45c7aa76dc83a03e6da7e25a.png

Hope everyone is in good health throughout lockdown. I'll do a more comprehensive update of progress over the next few days. 

More soon. 

• Like 18

Where did you find the SR S100 in that livery? It's a good find!

I just took a British Railways in sunshine version and re-liviered it into the SR version, just need to add the circle plate to the smokebox. And will be taking a NCB one and backdating into a pre-mod SR one. Annnnd taking the WD USA one and changing the number to 4236 (I think that's number, I do have a book on these). 4236 had the WD livery up until BR days, along with having white rims, something Bachmann forgot to do ;) 

B22C44E0-F9AE-456F-A220-A7838C41948D.jpeg

Edited by Ribird
Added photo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ribird said:

Where did you find the SR S100 in that livery? It's a good find!

I just took a British Railways in sunshine version and re-liviered it into the SR version, just need to add the circle plate to the smokebox. And will be taking a NCB one and backdating into a pre-mod SR one. Annnnd taking the WD USA one and changing the number to 4236 (I think that's number, I do have a book on these). 4236 had the WD livery up until BR days, along with having white rims, something Bachmann forgot to do ;) 

B22C44E0-F9AE-456F-A220-A7838C41948D.jpeg

Hi @Ribird, the S100 was purchased from a friend, he doesn't model pre-BR but had previously purchased this. The recent Model Rail sale around Warley encouraged him to move this one onto me, and purchase a lovely BR Green one. 

I must say you've done a lovely job with your one, the weathering looks cracking! I'll be interested to see how your future conversions go. With regard to the circle on the smoke box, was that fitted to all of the locos? I wasn't sure if it was to do with which US company built them?