Repainting of model

Hi

I am looking at a 2nd hand model wagon that I believe was painted by a previous owner. I can not find any reference to this model having been produced in the colour. How easy would it be to strip the paint safely?

I don't know what paint was used and how it was prepared and I won't be able to find out. What problems may I encounter?

Guest Half-full
On 18/07/2020 at 08:26, bordercollie said:

Hi

I am looking at a 2nd hand model wagon that I believe was painted by a previous owner. I can not find any reference to this model having been produced in the colour. How easy would it be to strip the paint safely?

I don't know what paint was used and how it was prepared and I won't be able to find out. What problems may I encounter?

There are many topics on here about stripping paint, and many ways to do it.  Of the top of my head the most popular stripping methods are...

Pheonix Precision Superstrip - great but very expensive

IPA 99% - havent tried it, but by all means works

Brake Fluid - as above

Dettol (Original) - my preferred solution

Mr Muscle oven cleaner - again, havent tried but does appear to work

• RMweb Premium

If you'ver got an ultrasonic bath you could pop the wagon in together with some appropriate cleaning fluid.  I found that a couple of 480 second cycles finished off with a fairly vigorous toothbrushing of the awkward corners took most of the paint off.

DT