US HO Track Query

Canal Digger

Please I have some track that I would like your help to identify. I believe track to be H0 gauge and is US made from 1947. I say US made and 1947, because of the phrase "PROV PAT 23765/47", stamped on underside. I understand that is a US term for a Provisional Patent in 1947. The track is on a plywood base, painted green sides and brown top. Straights measure 6 5/8 x 1 3/8 inch or 170x33 mm, while 16 curves make a circle about 32 inch diameter. Steel rails (no rust!), sections connect together by brass pins.

20200803_185557.jpg

20200803_185619.jpg

20200803_185642.jpg

20200803_185729.jpg

Really interesting website, thanks. But he does have a couple of omissions that i've seen.  No mention of GEM OO gauge track or Welkut.  Probably more such as CCW for O gauge?

Hi, Charles doesn't know this 'remarkable' track, will be appearing on his Mystery Items Page.

Having asked the UK Patent Office (the chap there was a bit taken aback by me asking about a 1947 Patent), I'm about to ask in turn the Train Collectors Society, The British Library (on advice from the Patent Office) and the Train Collectors Association (a US group). 

This is getting interesting, it's amazing what you get in at auctions ... , I wonder if I could persuade SWMBO to let me go to the US to do some research when this CV bug goes away.

I do seem to recall some similar wood based track system, used with a train set.

This was seen in the Train Collector, the magazine of the Train  Collectors Society, a few issues ago I think...I seem to recall a British train though?

Its a Hugar Set (Hugh Gardiner) from about 1943, I know that the trackbases are stamped .../47. I also have the Southern Electric Railcar set but in the belief that the track was US I did not link them together, even though they were in the same auction lot. Please does anyone know what voltage the railcar set would run on, it would be nice to get it working.

Hugar, that was the one.

I’m not sure if the Train Collector issue mentioned the voltage.

It is possible that the item I remember seeing is the report of the 2017 TCS Leicester exhibition.

image.jpeg.54a6cd1cef49db775298981ee3729ec9.jpeg

https://traincollectors.co.uk/tcs-2017-leicester-get-together/

image.jpeg.954f09ab3ef3b0a6ab5c8aa667af111a.jpeg

A set apparently from 1947. (Link below)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/early-hugar-piece-southern-train-set-480286472

A YouTube video. TCS Sandy 2008.

Edited by Sarahagain
Link redone... more added
  • Like 3