Has anyone made an working model of Brighton's sea railway system?

Always been interested in this railway system that ran into the sea along Brighton's coast line when I first saw it I thought it was a wind up with fake photos but no. The trains well sort of were nicknamed ' Daddy long legs' given they had pier like legs and a deck with an passenger saloon the power for them to work was from a overhead cable. I would love to see a full size replica built just to wind up the Health and Safety people who no doubt would write an growing report for it. 

Over years toyed with the idea of making a model of it but never got round to it but has someone out their done it got fully working model of this strange railway system? 

• Administrators

There is a model in Brighton Toy museum and I think the Volks Electric Railway society have one.

Photo14.jpg

Technically, I can't see why a replica couldn't be made. The biggest issue would be the proximity of the overhead wire to the open deck, photos show it surprisingly close, but that is easily solvable.

An excellent book has just been published by Amberley  on the machine with far more photos than I ever expected existed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I knew that I had seen a model of this somewhere, just could not remember where. Today however I saw it again. It's not what you would call to scale however but it is well done. 

IMG_2639.jpeg.dbf7d6fa0f243b0ae331db72ae26caed.jpegIMG_2640.jpeg.5af80ea7c5697c61ca97f6a91e09af3a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Brighton Toy & Model Museum one may be the one that appeared at the 2013 Brighton ModelEx, alongside a working model of the Volks Electric Railway.

There is a rather less authentic, but working model in the Paradise Park Gardens in Newhaven, as driven by one of my grandsons.

Volks Daddy long legs model B Modelworld 22 2 2013.jpg

Volks Electric Rly B Modelworld 22 2 2013.jpg

Volks_Rottingdean_Railway_model_Paradise_Park_Newhaven_13_4_2010.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
corrected date
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1