When did Network Rail PW crew start wearing the full HV suits?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering when Network Rail, even Railtrack or good old BR started issuing the full orange high-viz work wear and hard helmets to their PW crews?  The layout I’m building is set between 2018 and 2019 and wondering how far back I could backdate it as I’m planning to have some PW crew working on site in full “orange army” work wear.

• RMweb Gold

Full orange came in as mandatory around 10-15 years ago after a track worker was hit near Reading. Full orange was available before that but not universal. I can’t remember the exact year but it was definitely under NR. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I suspect full orange has been in use since the 90’s but hard hats were only worn where there was lifting going on. It became mandatory at the same time as full orange did. I’ve just found photos from 2008 with guys only wearing tops in hivi so prob 2008-2010?

White hard hats are the standard and blue hats are probationary workers. 

• Agree 2

I joined NR in late 2009 and it was certainly mandatory then. I would put the requirement for full orange as being a good bit earlier than that as I remember it causing some debate between ourselves and Amec, who initially provided the maintenance staff for Croydon Tramlink, where neither hard hats nor full orange were deemed necessary unless there was a specific hazard that required them. It is also in that period that I remember reading about hard hats becoming mandatory on NR on account of incidences of staff trackside being hit by flying ballast. 

Jim 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

would put the requirement for full orange as being a good bit earlier than that

I’m pretty sure from memory it was this tragedy in 2007 that prompted mandatory full orange. Page 30 item 156 mentions the lack of hivi trousers.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c901f40f0b6024400018b/R212008_081028_Reading.pdf

• RMweb Gold

I remember from it coming in that it was generally considered a good response to the fatality. There was some fine tuning of the helmet and glasses requirements though. 

8 minutes ago, jeff mcghie said:

Wikipedia (I know:rolleyes:) has it as announced in 2008 and implemented in 2009.

Yes sounds right and matches up with photos I have around then of the guys I work with. 

1 hour ago, jim.snowdon said:

I joined NR in late 2009 and it was certainly mandatory then. I would put the requirement for full orange as being a good bit earlier than that as I remember it causing some debate between ourselves and Amec, who initially provided the maintenance staff for Croydon Tramlink, where neither hard hats nor full orange were deemed necessary unless there was a specific hazard that required them. It is also in that period that I remember reading about hard hats becoming mandatory on NR on account of incidences of staff trackside being hit by flying ballast. 

Jim 

The flying ballast was a regular hazard round here as we had the trains out of Penmaenmawr passing us daily.  Our worst place was Llandudno Junction at a crossover where it was the first set of P & C since gaining speed from the quarry (50 mph) where the old Dogfish, Catfish and Sealions really shook any loose stuff off. Any sign of a up ballast and it was shelter behind the nearest locations.

Another hazard was where we had the line running past golf courses.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The man in the picture is Ted Keatley who was one of the Signalling Works supervisors.

At that time we seemed to be guinea pigs for all sorts of H&S kit and trials for different site work methods as one end of our patch was a few minutes walk from BRB HQ.

My bag for site inspections, audits, etc included hard hat, visor, goggles, disposable face masks, orange boiler suit, disposable oversuits for 'dirty' work, orange waterproof coat and overtrousers, disposable gloves, leather gauntlets and safety boots. Also available at the office I had amongst other things flame retardant boiler suit, rubber gauntlets, waders and confined spaces equipment.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 01:31, PaulRhB said:

White hard hats are the standard and blue hats are probationary workers. 

Before this there were different local standards, for the area I worked on White or orange hats were standard, Blue hats were Coss/EIC/Tech Staff, and Red hats were Crane Supervisors.