DCC for First layout

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Some of you may have seen the discussions in the layout section about my proposed 8x4 (with an extra bit!) layout - which will look something like the attached pic. It's my first attempt and I would like to make it DCC and have a couple of queries.

I've been looking at the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2, is this about the right sort of thing for the layout shown or a bit over the top? I'm also thinking about future proofing - just in case I ever get the chance of more space!

Also does anyone have any experience of the DCC Autofrogs? I'm thinkning these would be ideal for the reversing loop?

Cheers

Clive

Layout4.7.JPG

Hi

I use the PA2 and find it an excellent piece of DCC kit.  There are other DCC systems that work just as well of course.  The PA2 will happily operate your layout.

The Gaugemaster DCC80 Autofrog AFAIK only has one set of contacts. Therefore two would be needed and they would have to switch exactly at the same time!   IMO a Dual Frog Juicer would be better as its all electronic.  Or just use a conventional reverse loop module for electronic switching.   

However, cheapest of all is to use a DPDT switch fitted and operated by the entrance/exit point, so as when the point moves over to allow an exit the loops rails polarity swaps over! When the point is restored to the opposite position the loops rails revert to the original feeding polarity. Using a DPDT switch can at times cause sound locos to restart their sequence and some locos to stutter, as the contacts break and then make.   Hence all electronic methods are far better than anything using change-over contacts

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

If you use turnout motors which have a SPDT switch built in then it will synchronise the changeover of the frog with the movement of the blades. Using the same switch to throw the points and change the frog risks getting a short circuit when the switch moves faster than the turnout blades.

• Like 1