Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'd like to revive this Hornby Dublo van which was my father's, to use on a layout I'm planning using Peco code 100 track. It has a broken buffer and the chassis with the metal brake shoes, I'm not sure if the wheels are original. The couplings will be getting replaced but I could do with some advice on more realistic wheels and suitable buffers.

 

Can anyone please recommend some suitable replacement wheels and buffers for this van? Thanks.

20200829_165425.jpg

20200829_165459.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Binky,

The standard H/D wheels should be ok for code 100 rails. Although the wheels you have on do look like replacements to me as their flanges look more like original Triang super four. The only way to be certain wold be to run it on a piece of code 100 track and see. I am currently restoring 3 H/D Cowen cranes so I have easy access to check their wheels to compare against your pictures.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look very like the wheels Wrenn used to use in the 1970s, they would therefore have the same style or round ended bearings that Hornby Dublo used to use. They should run on code 100 (the Wrenn wheels were contemporary to Tri-ang Hornby's then new System 6 track) but probably not code 75.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

After checking several more H/D wagons to compare the flange sizes those flanges still look far deeper than any I have on the wagons I have checked. The flanges still look more like the depth that was run on Triang Super 4 track. There are plenty of replacement wheels for sale on that well know auction site. I know as I have just bought some...... :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

After checking several more H/D wagons to compare the flange sizes those flanges still look far deeper than any I have on the wagons I have checked. The flanges still look more like the depth that was run on Triang Super 4 track. There are plenty of replacement wheels for sale on that well know auction site. I know as I have just bought some...... :)

 

Thanks for the advice. I certainly think it could do with a wheel upgrade. I wasn't sure if finding wheelsets to fit those H/D axleboxes was an issue or if modern replacements should fit straight in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

After checking several more H/D wagons to compare the flange sizes those flanges still look far deeper than any I have on the wagons I have checked. The flanges still look more like the depth that was run on Triang Super 4 track.

Ironically they would date from after Super 4 was discontinued as Wrenn adopted the metal wheels around 1973. The apparent depth is due, at least in part, to the shiny metal finish and the rather sharp root radius; the comparison with Lima there is valid. I preferred the look of the plastic wheels Wrenn used earlier on (when they came in Triang/Wrenn boxes), probably the same tooling as Hornby Dublo. In my opinion the shiny metal wheel look, which many manufacturers stayed with until the 1990s, never looked good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Binky said:

 

Thanks for the advice. I certainly think it could do with a wheel upgrade. I wasn't sure if finding wheelsets to fit those H/D axleboxes was an issue or if modern replacements should fit straight in.

Hi Binky,

Modern wheel sets probably will not fit as far as i know we use pinpoint axles. They have stub end that sits in a hanger. There are some plastic ones for sale that should fit this wagon on Ebay at the moment  for about a tenner for 8. To change the wheels you will need to take the body off and then release the tab on one side of the chassis by bending it upright. This is holding the hanger in place. it should then drop out of the chassis and the wheel should just come out. The reverse to put the new wheels in. Put one stub in the fixed hanger and the other in the loose one. Then feed the loose hanger back into the chassis and fold back the tab back into place.

Edited by cypherman
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Binky,

Modern wheel sets probably will not fit as far as i know we use pinpoint axles. They have stub end that sits in a hanger. There are some plastic ones for sale that should fit this wagon on Ebay at the moment  for about a tenner for 8. To change the wheels you will need to take the body off and then release the tab on one side of the chassis by bending it upright. This is holding the hanger in place. it should then drop out of the chassis and the wheel should just come out. The reverse to put the new wheels in. Put one stub in the fixed hanger and the other in the loose one. Then feed the loose hanger back into the chassis and fold back the tab back into place.

 

Thanks Cypherman.  I've found some suitable wheelsets on ebay but they work out at £15 for 12 when I only want 2. Considering I'd also need replacement buffers I'm wondering if sticking an entire Parkside chassis under it would be a cheaper option, although as this van has some memories to it I'd like to keep as much of it as possible.

 

It reminds me of a song I picked up somewhere:

 

They come in little plastic packs

in groups of five or ten

we haven't sold them singley since I can't remember when

 

'Cause in the little plastic packs

they're easier for us to sell

and they'll cost you twice the original price

and they won't work half as well! :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The original wheel sets aren`t pinpoint although the later Wrenn model are,they run in stamped tinplate holes.You may have trouble finding original wheel sets,they do come up on ebay but are quite expensive.To be honest,you are better off and cheaper to buy from Ebay item no.114331467261Buy it now,£25 + p&p,cheaper than a set of wheels.

 

                              Ray.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sagaguy said:

The original wheel sets aren`t pinpoint although the later Wrenn model are,they run in stamped tinplate holes.You may have trouble finding original wheel sets,they do come up on ebay but are quite expensive.To be honest,you are better off and cheaper to buy from Ebay item no.114331467261Buy it now,£25 + p&p,cheaper than a set of wheels.

 

                              Ray.

Hi Sagaguy,

A set of 8 origional plastic H/D wheels on Ebay is only £10.00. so a lot cheaper than £25.00. There is another way that it can be done. But it is a little more fiddly. You could put wheel bearings into the wheel holders and therefore use modern pinpoint wheels. Not sure how much a set of bearings would be though. But at least you could use modern wheels. You might have to drill out the axle boxes a little as well.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this thread and set me rummaging in the spares box. Found these.

20200901_202545.jpg.3ecf6c91ce19399f3fe96589ed46b29e.jpg

 

Ones with yellow isolators might be what you want. Roughly 14mm dia.

 

20200901_202525.jpg.d8b479dba4bed738a9acc74478b7ddd2.jpg

 

Can't remember where they came from so over to the experts?...

Link to post
Share on other sites

These look like Romford wheels to me. I have used these in the past to rewheel Hornby Dublo vehicles (Presflo cement, Traffic Services tanker, Fruit D & SR CCT) with the stamped metal bearings, in the manner described by cypherman. I think some required a rub with a file on the domes to allow the axles to fit between the axleguards. I found that the two parcels vehicles required the 12mm diameter wheels to comfortably fit between the brake shoes and keep the couplings at the correct height.

 

These dome-ended axles could be used with Peco brass bearing cups in kit builds. Sadly the manufacturer's first attempt to give these wheelsets pinpoint axle ends resulted in something halfway between the two, so the Peco cups were still necessary.

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have successfully fitted standard modern Hornby / Bachmann pinpoint wheels  to H/D rolling stock with no modifications, I was very dubious at first but they work very well and improve to running qualities, just remove one of the metal clips slide one end of the axle in the remaining fixed metal clip on the wagon and then place the loose clip over the other end and wiggle the clip back home.

 

Richard

Edited by steam69
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2020 at 22:51, cypherman said:

Hi Sagaguy,

A set of 8 origional plastic H/D wheels on Ebay is only £10.00. so a lot cheaper than £25.00. There is another way that it can be done. But it is a little more fiddly. You could put wheel bearings into the wheel holders and therefore use modern pinpoint wheels. Not sure how much a set of bearings would be though. But at least you could use modern wheels. You might have to drill out the axle boxes a little as well.

I remove the metal axle hanger/ brake shoe thing, then I put Romford Pn Point top hat bearings in the axle hangers after filing off the pointed end of the top hat, it will then fit almost flush to the outside of the hanger so it slips back into place.  However it only takes HO axles like Lima which are slightly shorter than  Hornby etc OO axles.  I do it to use Lima wheels for power pick up as they are insulated one side only so run very freely while still picking up power.

Later Wrenn used pin point axles in a plastic chassis.   HO spoked wheels might be a challenge so it may be a case of finding HO axles to suit Jackson wheels, or spending hours reducing the length of OO axles with a file and a power drill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

These are definitely Wrenn wheels which are much the same as Dublo wheels except for the shiny metal tyre (black/rust paint on the rim improves them immensely). I would fit 14mm disc (Romford/Nucro/Jackson (as above) or Hornby) and either file the bearing hole upwards 1mm of fit new inside bearings - Nucro springing units are ideal - there were (guess who snapped most of them up) some on eBay last time I looked. (Usual disclaimer - I can recommend the seller). They are however not too difficult  to make from brass sheet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nucro-10ft-Wheelbase-Wagon-Springing-Unit-Disc-Wheels-Type-Wheels-No-R403-/283933891380

 

Cut it in half and fix to the floor. These have the old undersize axles* so a little reaming is required for modern 2mm axles to fit 14mm wheels.

 

I am of two minds over the desirability of pin-point axles for coaching stock (unless one has puny locomotives). There tend to move too easily and give jerky running.

 

Code 100 is fine for Dublo wheels. They exaggerated with code 125 for 3 rail and code 110 for 2 rail, but the rail fixings are rather thick on the latter.

Edited by Il Grifone
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I managed to find another HD wagon which was cheap and suitable for spares (good wheels, poor body) so I can bring this van back to life.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Binky you can indeed fit pinpoint axles to this wagon with a little modification to some top hat barings. I've done this on mine and fitted Bachmann 14mm coach wheels. I'll try and get some pics later.

 

Cheers Trailrage

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of pics for ya 

 

Pic 1 :- Top Hat Bearing fitted in original Wren axle mount.

Pic 2 :- Modified Tophat Bearing with pinpoint filed down flat.

Pic 3 :- Bachmann 14mm Coach Wheels Fitted and Parkside NEM mounts with Bachmann Mk2 Mini couplings fitted.

Pic 5 :- Modified Underframe with new Trussrods  0.5mm (Square Plastic rod) and Vertical supports (shaped 1mm Plastic Square rod).

Pic 5 :- Replacement Whitemetal V Hanger (possibly ABS/Fourmost Models castings).

Pic 6 :- Replacement Buffers from Lanarkshire Model Supplies. Beautiful castings .

 

 

Wren SR CCT 1.JPG

Wren SR CCT 2.JPG

Wren SR CCT 3.JPG

Wren SR CCT 4.JPG

Wren SR CCT 5.JPG

Wren SR CCT 6.JPG

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.