Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

Yes, brass is a great material and these coaches are extremely well designed. 

My success rate with 4mm coaches is spotty.  I did manage to complete a rake of 5 LSWR NC coaches from Roxey for a friend.  It took a verrrrryyy loong time but it got done.  Last news I had was he likes the coaches but his Hornby T9 hasn't got the muscle to pull them.

I started a rake of Comet LMS NC coaches which was well along before Hornby released theirs.  :angry:  One thing to watch is to make sure the underframe doesn't go banana shaped.

John

2 hours ago, WM183 said:

Speaking of coaches,

I am debating running a single coach train for now, so it can bring along a milk tank, CCT, and so on at times, to add some more interest. I guess the easiest sort would be to just use a Dapol autocoach, but I sort of want a proper brake composite or brake third - might one of the clerestory coaches be found in an out of the way place like this circa 1950?

Amanda,just remember rule 1 applies at all times!

atb

Phil

On 18/11/2020 at 17:49, WM183 said:

Speaking of coaches,

I am debating running a single coach train for now, so it can bring along a milk tank, CCT, and so on at times, to add some more interest. I guess the easiest sort would be to just use a Dapol autocoach, but I sort of want a proper brake composite or brake third - might one of the clerestory coaches be found in an out of the way place like this circa 1950?

Hi Amanda,further to this,the Hemyock branch used a clerestory brake coach until at least 1938 (that's the date on the photo I turned up) and used 2 ex Barry Railway coaches up to 1962,after which a couple of LNER suburbans were used.The Barry Railway coaches were gas lit,as the train didn't go fast enough to charge the batteries.All things considered,it wouldn't be unexpected if the clerestories lasted another 12 years or so,Hemyock being so far out in the sticks as to be out of sight and mind of officialdom!

Although this is not a rigourous answer, I think that very few brake Clerestory coaches survived past grouping, those clerestory coaches which did survive into the 50s seemed to be all-compartment stock which had been transferred to engineering departments.

You may choose to implement Rule 1a which is a sub-section of Rule 1...  and that sub-section reads "do what you like and like what you do".

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1

Might I suggest a Dapol/Lionheart D109 Bk3rd or, if you fancy doing a bit of kit-bashing/scratchbuilding, an Ian Kirk D98.  I believe that this would be a far more typical one coach branch train for the 1950''s .  Best of luck with your project.

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Another option would be the E147 which was one end of the flat ended B set:  The GWR did build a batch especially for single coach operation.  A 7 mm scale kit of such is available through Haywood Railway. (no website).

Of course, you could also use a single Hawksworth brake 3rd as shown behind 1666 at Cardigan in  the Derek Huntriss book 'Steam in South Wales'.

Jim Russell's Illustrated History of GW Coaches, Volume 1 (published in 1972) has a couple of pictures (Figs 172 and 173) of a clerestory brake third, coupled to a milk tank wagon on the Hemyock branch "twenty five years ago", so around 1947. Assuming BR didn't immediately retire it, you're close enough...

Gordon

On 21/11/2020 at 19:16, WM183 said:

A new bit of fun has arrived; a brass kit for a bogie bolster wagon!

jCtXAho.jpg

Hi, you won't be disappointed. Jims kits go together well albeit basic under frame detail (only if you look!), but a good end result. I recently built his Loriot M and it went together well. Although I'm not a beginner, (nor a Pro!!) they are certainly good starter kits.

Regards

Deano.

4 hours ago, WM183 said:

I did find a track plan that seems "inspired" by Minories on a blog, here:

https://princestreet.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/now-thats-settled-victoria-park-revisited/

in particular the layout plan allows a 3-car length train at one platform and a 2 car length one at another. That might be doable? A Push-Pull train with a 2 car service, and then a 3 car suburban service, along with parcel service and all....

victoria-park-actual.png

The thing that troubles me about this is that there doesn't seem to be much if any provision for freight working.  My thinking is that while most of us, myself included, like to include passenger working, it is not terribly interesting.  For me, the interesting thing is to be able to shunt freight wagons around.

John

• Agree 1