Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

12 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I have in the past used locktite instead of the grub screw but you risk then of having the worm centric ally off centre.

You can get the same off-centre problem with a grub screw if the gear is too loose a fit on the axle as well as the slight wobble it can introduce. Back in the days when I smoked, I used a Rizla (other cigarette papers are available !) to shim a gear on an axle with slight success.

Regards !

Andi

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WM183 said:

I have ordered a new worm and gear set from Ultrascale. ....

In that case, I would change both the worm and the axle gear - Ultrascale stuff is good quality - you will see the difference if you swap both !

Regards !

Andi

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WM183 said:

I have not yet used Premier, but will try one in a future build.

I have ordered a new worm and gear set from Ultrascale. The new worm is only a few hundredths of a MM smaller than my existing one, and the motor mount is adjustable, so it should fit right in my existing gearbox. If THIS doesn't work... I guess I will try Premier. Their prices seem much more reasonable!

Amanda

I am confidant that you will be pleased.   For not a lot of money.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WM183 said:

I installed the new worm and gear, and carefully shimmed the side to side on the axle. MASSIVE difference. A nice motor hum, not a cacophonous clanking grinding sound. It runs smoothly! Once the new wheels arrive I can begin to paint the chassis, and do the final assembly of the running bits! Who knows when they might get here =( 

There!   And not for a lot of money or effort!

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...