Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

That viaduct is stunning Jef,  just imagine a Midland 4-4-0 with a train of clerestory carriages on it.  Superb.

Derek

Thanks Derek. Really good to hear from you.

And, as I'm speaking to a very long-term EM convert, I apologise for being unable to oblige with anything steam-based. At the moment, anyway.

Best wishes to Olga.

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jacko said:

Ah focus!  Up till recently that's been the bane of my life but I fitted a Celestron motor focusser a couple of months ago which is as smooth as satin so there's no wobble when focussing AND a couple of weeks ago I finally bought a bahtinov mask so I can now get stars pin sharp. Of course, as I'm using an SNT reflector there's always a chance of the mirror slipping :(

Graeme 

I fitted a Baader diamond steeltrack focusser on the SCT a couple of years ago, and the fine focus control is very good. I have considered fitting a Baader motor focusser, but I'm not convinced it's worth the cost. Visual judgement of the region of focus is still difficult with the poor seeing.

We can all aspire to Damian Peach standards, but we don't all have the opportunity to image in grade 1 seeing. I don't think I've ever seen a clear, symmetric Airy diffraction disc on a defocussed star - other than in a Physics lab. As with the viaduct, I suppose we have to do the best with what we've got and it's the challenge that is fun.

You should (NOT) see my first imaging efforts from 2015. I think it would be boring if we could all produce perfect results, instantly...

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Of course, as I'm using an SNT reflector there's always a chance of the mirror slipping :(

Graeme 

I did of course mean SCT. doh!.  

• RMweb Premium

The backscene has been given a priming coat of paint and immediately brightens up the scene.

The viaduct has now been fixed in position and a link inserted at the north end. The track still needs cutting to length and joining-up.

It's almost time to start playing with the insulation board!

Jeff

20210326_144434 crop.jpg

20210326_145744.jpg

20210326_145804.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

That board does look better now. If only you could get @Andrew P up to Cumbria to do you one of his famous landscapes. If you sent him the dimensions I'm sure he could rustle something up on the back of a roll of wallpaper!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

That board does look better now. If only you could get @Andrew P up to Cumbria to do you one of his famous landscapes. If you sent him the dimensions I'm sure he could rustle something up on the back of a roll of wallpaper!

Yes, his backscenes are very good.

I intend to cover most of the area with a blue-ish sky (yes, I know the weather is often cr@p on the S&C, but if I want a blizzard scenario I'll just turn the lights off!!) with some white clouds (I'll get my sponge out).

The area directly behind the viaduct, visible through the arches, will be painted onto a separate piece of 4mm ply and slipped into place.

J.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The viaduct has started to disappear into the "landscape"....

I cut a piece of 6mm ply as a guide former, showing the way the land rises between piers 4 and 10. This was screwed into the side of the viaduct and also serves to minimise plaster ingress onto the stones once I get to that bit.

Then it's just been a couple of hours of messy fun with the insulation board.

The yellow tubs at the end of the viaduct are there to weigh down the track - which has now been fixed to the pre-laid track and PVA'd in place.

I've just taken delivery of 36 rolls of mod-roc, so I'll be enjoying myself with that, probably tomorrow.

Jeff

20210327_125809 rs.jpg

20210327_133552 rs.jpg

20210327_151455 rs.jpg

20210327_151505 rs.jpg

20210327_151530 rs.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, bit between my teeth now, and some of you might remember how much I love mucking around with mod-roc.

So I've just put 4 rolls of the stuff onto the insulation board base. I'm not being a stickler to my original contour plan, but what's on so far is a fair representation of the valley side at the north west end of the viaduct. If I get the chance I'll try and post the contour plan on here again, as it has salient points on it - such as path locations.

Here's another mini-batch of pics.

J.

20210327_192835 rs.jpg

20210327_192902.jpg

20210327_193118.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Serious question, as I am about the same place to using mod-roc on the scenery for Rock Creek, when I get chance to get back to some modelling ... where you've laid the mod-roc over the edge of the insulation board, aren't the edges giving a bit of a tight angle, or will that soften and mould away as you continue?  First time using mod-roc for me, so I am interested in what and how your doing things....

Rich

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Jeff,

Serious question, as I am about the same place to using mod-roc on the scenery for Rock Creek, when I get chance to get back to some modelling ... where you've laid the mod-roc over the edge of the insulation board, aren't the edges giving a bit of a tight angle, or will that soften and mould away as you continue?  First time using mod-roc for me, so I am interested in what and how your doing things....

Rich

Rich, if I understand the query...

A coating of plaster is put on top of the mod-roc to produce additional strength, but mainly to allow proper contouring of the surface. My track record on KL1 and 2 had plaster thicknesses of up to 3-4 cm, which is ridiculous. I'll keep it to about a cm on here.

Now, does that help or did I misinterpret the question?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Put not bl**dy out you silly spellchecker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Rich, have a look at the last Kirkby Luneside thread:

Page 80, as an example, shows moc-roc going onto an embankment.

Page 85 shows the mod-roc on the Fell getting its plaster coating.

I would recommend cheap plaster, as sold in DIY stores. I did use about 20kg of Plaster of Paris - sets rock hard in less than 5 minutes and scares the sh1t out of any drills you wish to use....so tough. Avoid PofP, unless a free load falls off the back of a lorry and into your model room!!

HTH.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Rich, if I understand the query...

A coating of plaster is put on top of the mod-roc to produce additional strength, but mainly to allow proper contouring of the surface. My track record on KL1 and 2 had plaster thicknesses of up to 3-4 cm, which is ridiculous. I'll keep it to about a cm on here.

Now, does that help or did I misinterpret the question?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I was thinking more of whether the sharp corners/edges that are visible in the mod-roc in the picture would look realistic when finished. But your comment of multiple layers/extras thickness explains how those contours get softened and natural looking, thanks.

Rich

ps Don’t forget the clocks go on tonight!

• RMweb Premium

First batch of pics.

A guide former added to the south end of the west side of the viaduct, as per the northern one, yesterday. (Pics 1 and 2)

The contour map, based on the prototype. The figures quoted are in centimetres above floor level. The diagram was drawn before I built the L-frames, and assumed a trackbed at 105cm. In the event, I've used 110cm, so 5 should be added to each number on the plan. I'm not following this slavishly, though the positions of Gill, paths, walls etc will be adhered to. (Pic 3)

Insulation board cut and fitted in between piers, along with continued work on the valley. (Pics 4 and 5)

Jeff

More shortly

20210328_123919 rs.jpg

20210328_123929 rs.jpg

20210328_162645 rs.jpg

20210328_134430 rs.jpg

20210328_142032 rs.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

The last time I was walking in this area it was under 6 inches of snow and the sky was leaden so that last picture is incredibly realistic to me :)

Graeme

There have been suggestions on previous layouts that I dispense with the grass and go for a snow effect. As you say, could be realistic!

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

You're going to have to raise the garage roof if you want photos like that!

I'm working on it.....

.... If only. Imagine Fell Mark 3 behind the viaduct....

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few more pics.

I've nearly used-up my latest supply of insulation board, but most of the south end of the viaduct - both east and west sides - now have a mostly-completed hill-base. 12 rolls of mod-roc, so far.

Jeff

IMG_7886rs.JPG

IMG_7888rs.JPG

IMG_7889rs.JPG

IMG_7891rs.JPG

IMG_7893rs.JPG

IMG_7894rs.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Should have kept the Double Garage, and then doubled it AGAIN.:D 

Impressed of Amp Sher.:good:

DON'T put ideas into my head. Lord knows what I'd do if I won a substantial sum of money on the lottery.....buy another house and use most of downstairs for a layout?

Oh, that would give me chance to build TWO full-scale viaducts!

Ummmm......

J..... Concerned of Cumbria :good:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

DON'T put ideas into my head. Lord knows what I'd do if I won a substantial sum of money on the lottery.....buy another house and use most of downstairs for a layout?

Ummmm......

Large Garden,

O Gauge,

Scale Viaduct,

Scale Fell,

Scale Luneside,

Scale ASYLEM :D:notme:

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Ummmm......

I refer you to my post of last Friday morning.

David