Looking For Decent OO Scale Figures

• RMweb Premium

I'm not convinced that that amount of detail is required for 4mm.  At that scale, the way the figures are painted is, IMO, rather more important than intricate detail.  If you're modelling steam era I like Monty's Models from Dart Castings - perferctly adequate detail, solid metal and £3.20 for two.

DT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Torper said:

I'm not convinced that that amount of detail is required for 4mm.  At that scale, the way the figures are painted is, IMO, rather more important than intricate detail. 

DT

177B6809-C692-4C5C-B0E2-4167B5B4760D.jpeg.751039869c6ac9e30fde2fea14cd81f3.jpeg
The benefIt of the 3D print process is it gives the extra detail to make a difference whilst painting them, (Modelu 4mm shown). The Monty’s figures are very good for white metal particularly the early ones, but are no where near as easy to get the finesse on than a good 3D print, using the same technique.

Edited by PMP
Add scale
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• Administrators

I'd rate the earlier Monty's as some of the best you can buy along with the Dapol plastic figures. Loads of detail and properly proportioned. However, both ranges are fairly limited. 3D printed people have the benefit that the pose and proportions will be absolutely spot on. Like @Torper, I'm not convinced mega detail is required - it certainly won't rescue a badly proportioned figure. I see 4mm scale as the same as viewing a real scene at a distance. You won't see people's eyeballs, but will notice their shape.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PMP said:

The Hardys aren’t as crisp as the Modelu figures, as the print quality is significantly different.

But they're still pretty good and £1.50 cheaper.  As far as I'm concerned, £4.50 for a single unpainted 4mm figure is over the top, especially if you need quite a few.

DT

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Torper said:

I'm not convinced that that amount of detail is required for 4mm.  At that scale, the way the figures are painted is, IMO, rather more important than intricate detail.  If you're modelling steam era I like Monty's Models from Dart Castings - perferctly adequate detail, solid metal and £3.20 for two.

DT

Oh you do, especially in class66 and class70 locos, the windows are huge, cheap drivers fitted by Bachmann let the models down, especially with the cab lights on, theyre very noticeable.

Edited by Graham Radish